Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

+13
rainsom
Larka544
samtibbs123
ladyhawke
dazlious394
Magical Music Dreamer
Karentia
Maxecat
Juicybit
missypotter
Tamsin Yeobright
Potions Mistress
arcadia
17 posters

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 Empty Re: Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

Post  Karentia Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Love Steven Spurier! If the Sherriff had not been available, I believe he was my second choice. He's the stuffy expat stuck in Paris trying to educate the Parisians about wine! Difficult task he set himself up for there since they believe they invented the stuff & no one else could ever come close, right? You have to watch it! Just for Alan's first taste of Kentuky Fried Chicken! I laughed so hard just watching that little bit!

A very happy New Year!

Curious what plans he has, projects in mind, for 2012. Would think more Broadway since he was looking at apartments in NY. Did anyone hear if he bought one?
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 Empty Re: Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

Post  Always Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 BSkfc

Have heard nothing as yet about future projects for Alan. He tends to keep his silence while in the midst of a project. As far as anyone's found out, he'll be in Seminar at least through mid-March, but no one knows if that's it, or if he'll renew for a longer run.

As to the new apartment, apparently he did buy one (though whether it's the one that's in the same building as Dan Radcliffe's apt is unknown). My guess is from a comment Jerry O'Connell made in an interview in which he refers to Alan's "old place". That would seem to imply that Alan now has a new place! Again guessing, to me the fact that he got a larger place in NY at NY's sky-high prices, would also seem to imply that he plans to do more theater in NY, either as actor or director, and wanted a bit more space since he and Rima would be living there quite a bit. If he did opt for the apt that got online coverage, it would seem to have advantages... a full gym on premises, a full time doorman to insure privacy, great views, more space... and, sure, Dan Radcliffe as a neighbor!
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:38 am

Always, thank you for that screen grab! Hilarious!

Well, did a Fantasia fest instead of AR. But there is plenty of time! Have a whole new year to watch in!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:14 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SnapeDH2holdingLily

Digital Spy picked up some of the LA Times interview with Alan in their own article:
Alan Rickman: 'Harry Potter end is a cause for celebration'
Alan Rickman has said that the end of the Harry Potter films is "a cause for celebration".

The 65-year-old, who plays Severus Snape in the movies, insisted that JK Rowling's story reached a satisfying conclusion and that the end of the series is not a bad thing.

"The point about a great story is that it's got a beginning, a middle and end," he told the Los Angeles Times.

"The ending of this story was quite popular and beautifully judged by Jo Rowling and [director] David Yates, so it's not a cause for sadness; it's a cause for celebration that it was rounded off so well."

Rickman went on to say that the films played a large part in his life for years.

"It was a punctuation mark in my life every year because I would be doing other things but always come back to that and I was always aware of my place in the story even as others around me were not," he said.

Rickman is currently starring on Broadway in the musical comedy Seminar.

In May, the actor praised Rowling in a letter he penned shortly after finishing his work on the Harry Potter films.
On the page below the article is an embedded video (new) of fanboy Dan Radcliffe talking about Alan as Snape.
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:18 am

The Prince's Tale in the book moved me...the film version broke my heart. It might have been the only time the film outdid the book for me. Sad
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SnapeDH2wand

Gigwise repeats the info that WB is conducting an intense Oscar appeal campaign.
Harry Potter may be one of the most successful franchises of all time but it seems the films have failed to gain recognition at prestigious film awards.

Warner Bros has now reportedly launched a campaign to get the final instalment Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part Two included in the nominations for this year's Oscars.

According to the Daily Telegraph the studio is pushing for academy members to vote for the film in 12 categories, including best picture, best director for David Yates and best actor and actress for Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson

Speaking about the possibility of Alan Rickman being nominated as best supporting actor for playing Professor Severus Snape.

Daniel Radcliffe said: "I don’t think there is going to be another performance from an actor in a supporting role that is so powerful.
We shall see if they can overcome the Academy bias.

The Columbia Daily Tribune offers AP's Best Theater in 2011, including:
No. 8: “Seminar” Alan Rickman plays a crass, pugnacious novelist-turned-tutor to a group of four budding writers in Theresa Rebeck’s wonderful play about the pain of creating art. But leave the “Harry Potter” fans at home: The only magic is in the script, and the only thing that disappears is the shirt on one of the actresses.
The Prince's Tale in the book moved me...the film version broke my heart.
Crying or Very sad Sad Crying or Very sad

Gotta love that Jerry Lacy. Here's what was just posted on his fb page:
FROM JERRY: Here's wishing a very Happy New Year to all. To Mary Ellen, who got to meet Alan Rickman and I didn't, and Gloria Puel and Wayne Lawless, and to our illustrious leader, Gloria Lillibridge, a wish for a New Year that excells in laughter and love and happiness.
Broadway.com has announced that Seminar has handily won the Fans Favorite 2011 Show poll:
To wind down our year-end coverage, Broadway.com looked to our readers over New Year's weekend, asking you to pick your favorite show of 2011. And the winner? With a whopping 31% of votes, Theresa Rebeck's sharp comedy Seminar, starring a quintet of stage talents led by Alan Rickman, has been crowned the fan favorite of the year.
cheers
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:44 am

What a wonderful gallery of delightfully inventive Christmas and New Year Alan cards! A treat to be able to go back and admire and smile. Hoping that 2012 will be they year I can acquire enough basic skills to join in the fun!

Hopefully there will be a nice selection of awards coming Alan's way in 2012. A friend's husband was telling me recently how Alan passed him walking along the street in London's West End a few year's back. (He was amused by my admission that I didn't have much of an internet existence, but had joined a site with an Alan Rickman appreciation thread!) It took him a few seconds to recognise Alan as he strode by, but he was struck by his unusually regal bearing. He didn't want to accost him for an autograph when he wouldn't have been expecting to be asked, but regretted it later! I think that, should I make it to London when we go down to Leavesden Studios in the school holidays, I might just slip one of his rarer DVDs into my handbag, in the unlikely off-chance that he might stride by ... Very Happy
Tamsin Yeobright
Tamsin Yeobright

http://www.aludditeonline.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SnapeDH2ssstory3

Welcome back, Tamsin! Nice to have you here without you having to hang out of a window to get reception. Laughing

HitFix reports on "‘Harry Potter’ and the hunt for the golden statue", including:
Recently it seems that the studio has shifted its focus slightly to pin a last minute Oscar hope on Alan Rickman in the Best Supporting Actor field. Rickman’s character, Professor Severus Snape, is the most inherently conflicted in the adaptation and Rickman has embraced Snape’s nuanced motivations with increasing depth as the cinematic depictions have evolved. He understood what followers of J.K. Rowling’s creation have always known: as the kids age, the themes, content and severity of the stakes evolve. There were always layers present, but Rickman’s portrayal culminated in what was, for me, the most emotionally evocative sequence in the final film: the reveal of Snape’s role as a double agent, his tortured, unrequited and steadfast love for Harry Potter’s mother Lily and ultimately, his demise.

In a sense, Rickman was playing a character that for a long period of time even the producers and directors didn’t fully comprehend. “I was always aware of my place in the story even as others around me were not,” the actor said in a recent interview with the LA Times Hero Complex. Author J.K. Rowling made a rare confidant of Rickman at an early stage in the cinematic adaptations when she revealed the scope and scale of Snape’s role in the larger tale in order to give Rickman the necessary tools to create an accurate portrait. “It was quite amusing, too, because there were times when a director would tell Alan what to do in a scene and he would say something like, ‘No I can’t do that – I know what is going to happen and you don’t,’” said producer David Heyman in the same interview.

For Potter lovers it is a fascinating exercise to go back and re-watch the films with the knowledge of Rickman’s foresight in mind. You will likely find new meanings in the variance of his expression and the bewildering nature of both his and Dumbledore’s choices and respective responses to Harry.

There is certainly a case to be made for a Best Supporting Actor nod for Rickman. For some, Ralph Fiennes’s Voldemort was the showstopper. But there are two moments that left an indelible impression on me in the penultimate and closing installments. The first provided the clearest sense of Yates’s directorial voice: Harry and Hermione dancing in the tent (a bittersweet, quiet act of rebellion and willful embrace of life and the present); the second is the aforementioned disclosure of Snape’s purpose and identity.

Rickman, in some ways, had more to dig into than any other cast member (other than perhaps Dumbledore, had they chosen to highlight the harsh lessons of his misguided youth). More than that, Rickman never gave the impression that he knew he was in a children’s film, or that he was particularly concerned with the genre. Snape evolved as the story needed him to, becoming richer, ever more heartbreaking and stronger, even as his frailties were unveiled.
scratch Well, if WB has made any change in its Oscar bids for HP to include Alan, I sure haven't seen it. The last two videos "for your consideration" didn't have even one shot of Snape in either of them. *mutters* Stupid studio.

Yet another Seminar stage door video has a cute moment with Alan as a fan asks him to say something...
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Thank you for relaying my messages, Always! Yes, squeezing out of narrow window frames is not a good idea when you've over-indulged in Christmas fare! Still, my emails got through, and the bruises are fading... cyclops

That's a nicely-written, thoughtful article. Even if a golden statue does not come his way, deeply frustrating as that is, I'm glad so many critics have been so deeply moved and intrigued by Alan's performances. I enjoy the directorial quotes, but it is particularly nice when a critic is prepared to share their reflections on the personal impact Shape and his developing role have had. That sort of introspection is a real lasting tribute to an actor's work. I noticed an amusing comment on a Facebook group where someone suggested buying a realistic looking Snape doll, spraying it gold, and sending it to Alan! The figure was a really good likeness, so I think it would be better without any embellishment!
Tamsin Yeobright
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SnapeDS2boathouse

Funny. I had mentioned earlier, too, that we could just send Alan our own award! Many minds with a single thought!

Writer's Digest is currently holding a contest to win tickets to Seminar.
We have a very special contest going down right now on the GLA Blog. Here’s the deal. There’s a new comedy on Broadway called “Seminar” that stars none other than Alan Rickman (bad guy in Die Hard, cheating husband in Love Actually, and, oh yeah, Snape in Harry Potter) as a writing instructor. Time Out New York gave it 5 stars and said Alan Rickman is hilarious in it and basically the man, which, naturally, we already knew. We’re giving away tickets on this blog. Keep reading if you want to win a pair!

THE GIVEAWAY: This contest goes through EOD, January 9, 2012. With the help of Serino/Coyne in NYC, we are giving away four (4) free pairs of tickets to random commenters. The show itself is on an open-ended run, so winners are allowed to cash in their tickets for anytime in Jan – March 2012 — so you should be able to find a date that works for you.

Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:13 pm

I like the way those brilliant minds work! Bet he'd get a kick out of it.
I wouldn't mind a Metatron statue..the wings were lovely.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Juicybit Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:25 am

‘Harry Potter’ and the hunt for the golden statue
Hahaha, this is too funny.

Do you know if Seminar is available for a reading experience? I'm not likely to ever see it, so it would be nice to read it someday.
Juicybit
Juicybit

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SeminarJan2012

Smiley Alan stage door pic (taken this week but don't know photog's name or I'd credit them).

Juicybit... Seminar hasn't yet been released in printed form. Last I heard, it was supposed to be out around March this year. Will try to find out more info.
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:52 pm

I think it'd behoove producers to record stage performances and distribute them in dvd form.It would allow people who do not have access to either Broadway shows or touring companies to see wonderful stage work,or remember works they were lucky enough to see.
It'd never be the same as a live performance but better than nothing.

I remember seeing a taped version of Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd...it was a little rough in form but you still got the flavor of the show,something I'd never get to see on my own.

Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Always, I remember you made first mention of sending a statue or something amusing, appreciative and relevant to Alan! Your good idea has perhaps been resonating in the blogosphere.

Maxe, I'd love a Metatron statue too! That's a really interesting point about the theatres releasing DVDs. You'd think they would consider it once the run is over. It wouldn't prevent me, or anyone else from attending another live performance if staged again at any point in time: every performance has its own nuances, and theatre-goers go for the live buzz. I would definitely buy recordings! My daughter played a child's part in a professionally staged Ibsen play last year that won very good reviews, and I would have loved some sort of video record to keep. I wish I could have a DVD of Alan in Les Liasons Dangereuses, and Anthony and Cleopatra. Oh well - one day, perhaps! I am still waiting for Truly Madly Deeply to become more readily available to send to a friend, so it is difficult to comprehend why marketing execs don't see the potential in meeting such consumer needs. (I use the word need judiciously, but with assurance that we all harbour similar priorities where unseen but potentially available Alan footage is concerned. Laughing

Juicybit, I would love a script too. If i can't go and see the play, at least I can imagine Alan saying his lines... and hanker after a DVD... cyclops

I love the stage door photo. Very happy and relaxed!
Tamsin Yeobright
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 Seminar82byMsSardonicus
Pic by MsSardonicus

StarPulse picks up the LA Times' Alan-knew-the-secret story with the best closing line I've run into yet:
Just think: if James and Lily had only chosen Rickman as their secret-keeper, they would probably still be alive right now. You go, Snape.
Juicybit & Tamsin... I posted the question about Seminar in print on the Seminar fb page... Here's a post in response from a fan in Australia:
Lady StarChilde: This was the reply sent to me from The Drama Book Shop by email: "Seminar is not yet published for sale. It will be published, but we don't know exactly when--it can take up to a year after a production closes on Broadway for the play to be... published. You can check back in a few months to see if it has come out. And when it does come out, you can certainly purchase it from us with a credit card from Australia, and we can ship it out to you there--we ship everywhere in the world."
So... not any real news, but someday... If I learn any more, I'll certainly post it.

Mike the Fan Boy has an account of his Seminar experience, including a cute little tidbit:
I didn’t see this, but a woman told me that he did stop to pose for a picture with a 7 year old boy. The girl who was next to him (who had been refused a picture) protested: “Why does he get a picture and I don’t!?!?”

To which Alan calmly replied: “Because he’s tiny.”

Ah, classic Alan Rickman!
I totally agree with you about wanting some sort of dvd to be made of major plays. Even if issued long after the run is over, at least they'd be there! Or they could tape them for programs like Masterpiece Theater or Great Performances for posterity. They DID do that with Hugh Jackman's version of "Oklahoma" (which was great), so obviously it's not impossible.

Updating 1/5: And speaking of Hugh Jackman, guess who was in the Seminar audience yesterday (Jan. 4)?

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SeminarHughJackman1-4-12BruceGlikas
Photo by Bruce Glikas

Update on Kevin Smith's Hit Somebody film:
Smith is changing plans and will make his upcoming ice-hockey comedy, "Hit Somebody," one movie instead of two.

The "Clerks" director said last summer that the movie was too long to be a single movie. But in his Twitter feed Thursday, he said, "now gonna make one big movie instead." In a subsequent tweet, he added, "Makes more sense, anyway: the movie's about taking one, good shot."

Smith said he plans to start shooting the movie in June -- instead of July or September, as had previously been expected -- and that he wants to premiere it at Sundance in 2013.

"Hit Somebody" stars Nicholas Braun in the lead role, as a hockey player named Buddy McCracken. The cast also includes John Goodman, Melissa Leo, Alan Rickman, Kevin Pollak and Ralph Garman, who co-hosts the podcast "Hollywood Babble-On" with Smith.
The Guardian reports that Alan has made it onto the BAFTA long list of Best Supporting Actor Nominations. DH2 has also been longlisted in a number of categories, including "Outstanding British Film". cheers

Last edited by Always on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:32 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : adding info)
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am

Ooooh - Alan and John Goodman in the same film? I remember I used to have a bit of a celebrity crush on John years back, when he was Dan Connor in Roseanne. He seemed to be the sort of husband I would have hoped to meet! I liked his humour, tartan shirts and 'biker with a softer edge' persona.

Looking forward to all the unfolding news about the film! It is great to have another Alan movie in the pipeline, before I've even seen Gambit. Cool
Tamsin Yeobright
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:37 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SherlockAlan

Thought this pic was appropriate to celebrate Sherlock Holmes' birthday today. Wink (Yes, this is one of my photoshops, though Alan did play Holmes on the stage many moons ago.)
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Alan was made for that role! Fantastic photo, Always! cheers
Tamsin Yeobright
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 Seminar88
Seminar photo by Jennifer S. Altman

The Arts & Leisure Weekend is livestreaming their speakers, including Alan, who is scheduled to talk from 10-11:15am (Eastern U.S. time) tomorrow, Sat. 1/7. The link to the livestream is here. cheers

***** eta***** Alan will on on livestream in 13 minutes.... http://new.livestream.com/alw

They ARE taping the talks and it'll be available on the site for viewing later as well if you miss the live cast.

BBC America comments on the BAFTA long list:
Over in the actor’s corner, the most interesting nomination has to be for Alan Rickman, who has been longlisted in the Supporting Actor category for his sterling work as Severus Snape in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Wow - I never fail to be impressed by how articulate Alan is in interviews. Over an hour, and not one "erm" or "umm". He's so polished and spontaneous at the same time. Remarkable! I loved his t-shirt slogan idea: "Less is more!" Very droll. This is one I'll come back to again before too long. Very insightful, thoughtful and amusing - and after all that, he has to do two shows! Thanks for posting the link, Always!

1am now ... time to retire. Sweet dreams all!
Tamsin Yeobright
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 ArtsAndEnt6

Alan at today's Arts & Leisure interview. If you missed the livestream you can watch the tape either at the Arts & Leisure archives (which also has lots of lovely pix) or on youtube - part 1 is here.

Wow - I never fail to be impressed by how articulate Alan is in interviews. Over an hour, and not one "erm" or "umm". He's so polished and spontaneous at the same time. Remarkable! I loved his t-shirt slogan idea: "Less is more!" Very droll.
Yep, agree on both points. On the articulate comment, yes, even more surprising since he said it was pretty early for him (and he did look a bit sleepy at the start), and he obviously still has a cold, poor guy. Wonder how many Rickmaniacs will be sporting "less is more" t-shirts soon!

A bit of transcription from the interview here.

*** Pausing the Alan chat to wish a very Happy Birthday to Severus Snape!

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SnapeBirthday2012

Last edited by Always on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added birthday greeting and more info)
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 Snapebirthday2
Magical Music Dreamer
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Over at the Hog's Head, I've lauded the birthday cards from Always and Magical Music Dreamer but they deserve another round of applause.Your wit and computer skills bring me joy and a tiny touch of envy.
I bet our wonderful Professor is pleased even though his professional face stays stern and detatched.

Thank you ladies!
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 10 SnapeDH2bts

I think Sev has finally relaxed and is enjoying his day. I saw tons of birthday wishes on fb and twitter (Sev was trending for a time) and was surprised to see that even the Seminar fb page wished the Potions Master a happy birthday!

MMD... perfect caption for that expression! Love the card!
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum