Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

+13
rainsom
Larka544
samtibbs123
ladyhawke
dazlious394
Magical Music Dreamer
Karentia
Maxecat
Juicybit
missypotter
Tamsin Yeobright
Potions Mistress
arcadia
17 posters

Page 11 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next

Go down

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 Empty Re: Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

Post  Maxecat Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 pm

It's great to see the Master let his guard down and let loose. I wonder if Minerva told him an off colour joke?
Or maybe she tickled him with her wand..it's perilously close to his lap.

Will he open his presents in front of people or take them to his rooms to savor them alone....what do you give the Potions Master? Herbs and newt eyes don't seem quite right. A gift card to IKEA? wonder what he'd make of that?
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 Empty Re: Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

Post  Karentia Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 pm

A very happy birthday to Sev!

I gave him his gift this morning - seems to have liked them!

Wow, would love to compete for those tickets, but moving is more important right now than a free show, having to pay for the trip. Sad Oh well.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:20 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 ArtsAndLeisure1-7-12

Alan at the Arts and Leisure talk. SnitchSeeker offers some transcribed excerpts from the talk here.

Elizabeth Stoddard of Slackerwood offers her list of favorite on-screen performers of 2011, including this nicely phased entry:
4. Alan Rickman, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II
If you weren't moved during the sequence wherein Harry learns the truth about Snape, then I don't know if we can be friends.
Hollywood.com offers another transcript from the Arts & Leisure talk:
The British actor was still considering whether or not to take the role of the mysterious Hogwarts professor when he contacted the author to learn more about the character, and he admits Rowling gave him the pointers he needed about the end of the books - before she'd completed the seventh novel.

Speaking at the New York Times Arts & Leisure Weekend (07-08Jan12) he said, "I think it's true to say that she had put the ending into a safe right back then. She knew how it would finish.

"There's a lot of speculation about tipping me off about how Snape would end. Before I said I would do it I said I have to talk to her. I rang her up and she was with her sister at the time and said, 'I can't talk now,' so that's how much she kept it to herself; she said, 'We'll talk tomorrow'.

"Then we spoke the next day and she gave me one small piece of information that let me know that there was more to Snape than met the eye. I can't share what she told me because I promised her I never would and I never have."

The information prompted Rickman to sign on - and it gave him the insight he needed to create the "buttoned-up" character.

He adds, "I was very involved in the costume. I was very specific about it. I said the sleeves should be really tight and there should be a lot of buttons because that helped me with the idea that he has to actually be buttoned in... It was very important that... the buttons were tight."
Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 ArtsAndEnt8

Alan discussing Snape's costume.

The Chicago Tribune reports a bit of Alan spotting:
DARREN CRISS, heartthrob of TV's "Glee," got a big laugh the other night during a performance at NYC's nightclub/eatery The Darby. Criss, who has replaced Daniel Radcliffe on Broadway, said: "It's funny that I'm in a show called 'How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying,' because I'm really trying!" (Apparently, his efforts are paying off. His appearance has "re-ignited" the box office at the Hirschfeld Theatre.)

Darren's gig at The Darby was a one-night-only special event, sort of "introducing" him to New York. He sang, played piano and guitar, melding smoothly with the club's marvelous five-piece band.
. . . .
Among the throng of fans were Alan Cumming, Parker Posey, William Ivey Long, Mo Rocca and Alan Rickman.
Broadway.com reports that Alan is in talks to take Seminar to the West End.
Today, The Daily Mail's Baz Bamigboye reports that Rickman is in talks to take the show to the West End. Producer David Ian says that unless Rickman leads the show, a transfer won't be happening.

Last edited by Always on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : added info and more info)
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Ooooooh!! The West End!!

I love the Snape sleeve discussion. He pays such attention to detail. It is very appealing. Smile

Alan Cumming! When I was a student, back in 1985, I worked in the venue where he came with Borderline theatre to do "Trumpets and Raspberries." He helped me sell t-shirts in the interval. I was a little distracted by his stunning smile and kept giving people the wrong change. Embarassed I wish I'd asked for his autograph!
Tamsin Yeobright
Tamsin Yeobright

http://www.aludditeonline.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 pm

How like a stage actor to need that costume to help develop a character!

I like Alan Cummings too...he's done so many different things.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 ArtsAndLeisure11

Alan's comments on his involvement with Snape's garb were my favorite part of the interview. Seems it's not only Rickmaniacs who love the many buttons look!
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:06 pm

I thought of that earlier. Which Rickmaniac used to post comments and photos of buttons all the time? There was always that great shot of the many buttoned long coat...

I haven't mentioned it before but a troll free site is so nice to visit..
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 SnapeButtons

I think you may be recalling Dark Buttons. She did a lot of button-related posts, and used a section of this pic as her avatar. Potions Mistress also was quite fond of multiple buttons as I recall (well, as are most of the rest of us!).
I haven't mentioned it before but a troll free site is so nice to visit..
Indeed!
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:16 am

I had not known that! How cool to have been in with the planning of his costume. Makes more sense now with the frock coat length, the man knows what works well on his frame, that's for sure. And he is a button man! We knew, but now we KNOW!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:59 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 SnapeNautographed

More buttons...

411Mania's "Alternate Takes" reflects on their 10 favorite films of 2011:
4. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART II

Thank you Harry Potter for entertaining me for the last decade. And thank you Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II for allowing the movie to go out in style with one of the best films in the franchise. Fans who have followed the story received some great parting gifts in this last movie. Minor characters got to step up and deliver big scenes to give them their big farewell. We got giant action to finish off the series. And, most importantly, Alan Rickman got a chance to deliver an Oscar caliber performance in his final turn as the best character in the series.

There are a lot of people out there who refuse to give Harry Potter any credit because they are too cool to watch the movies or read the books. That is unfortunate for them because they are missing out on one of the best stories of our time. I never thought I would love it as much as I ended up loving it and I am happy I gave it a chance. The Harry Potter franchise concluded in 2011 and it went out with a bang.
Best Actors
1. Gary Oldman, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
2. Alan Rickman, Harry Potter
3. Tom Hiddleston, Thor
4. Michael Fassbender, Shame
5. George Clooney, The Descendants
The Seatle Times has a live blog going on to cover the Golden Globes. Cute lead-in:
And here I am, waiting for Alan Rickman to bring me a glass of champagne . . . well, no, it's the office, here in snowy Seattle, and Diet Coke for me tonight.
(1/16): Posted on Twitter:
jessy400
Alan Rickman is watching the same movie a row behind me. (@ Angelika Film Center for The Artist w/ 15 others)

Last edited by Always on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added)
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:49 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 RandomProject-NoiseByAR

"Noise" by Alan Rickman. (Postcard he created for a former event.) Postcards are being created for a new art collaboration called The Random Project 2012 (theme: words associated with the upcoming summer Olympics). If any of you want to participate, the entry info link is here.

Flix 66 is still waving the flag in Oscar recommendations:
For Your Consideration: Alan Rickman in HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2 – Rickman conveys more restrained emotion than any one else this year. He has limited screen time in a huge blockbuster and is able to bring tears to your eyes. Lets show some respect to a great ending in an entertaining series.
But with the BAFTA's snubbing HP (only four technical nominations made it to their short list of nominees), I think the film award potential for Alan will have to await his next great role. Sad

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 Seminar103

Last edited by Always on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 am

You're kidding! BAFTA ignored the film ? What is this insanity? Even without the special effects the acting was credible,exciting and heartbreaking.

Shame on BAFTA for not giving a nod to AR for his interpretation of JKR's most intriguing character. Evil or Very Mad
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:18 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 SnapeDH2promo4

Here's what made it to the BAFTA short list:

Production design
The Artist
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Hugo
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
War Horse

Make up and hair
The Artist
Hugo
The Iron Lady
My Week With Marilyn

Sound
The Artist
Hugo
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
War Horse

Special visual effects
The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn
Hugo
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
War Horse
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:10 pm

Is anyone else creeped out by the animation in Tintin? I can't look at the trailers. I find it so disturbing.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 HIaFposter2

Maxe... Yes, I find the trailers for Tin Tin weirdly disturbing. The "almost human but not quite" aspect is certainly not something I find appealing. I'm old school here. I much prefer 2D animation! (I know it's a losing battle, but ah well..)

Speaking (sadly) of losing battles Sad , The Washington Post joins quite a few others in lamenting:
— “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2” is destined to get nothing but technical nominations.

All hopes for an Oscar best picture nod or a nomination for Alan Rickman seem pretty much dashed if even the British didn’t give it that kind of recognition. The final “Potter” film did receive BAFTA noms for best sound, production design, special visual effects and make-up & hair.
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 am

Always, other than it is for a cartoon, I'm confused. What is the movie above for/from/representing? I don't recognize it. Have not seen any trrailers for TinTin, might check it out tomorrow...

It is sad when the more popular a movie is, the less the awards recognition they seem to get. Take Star Wars, they did not garner many awards if my memory serves me right, at least in the first trilogy. I don't follow the awards any more because the ones I enjoy the most are usually snubbed. Why bother. Just serves to frustrate me more so I gave it up for lent. Nope, not catholic, but good idea to give something up, and it sure as hell won't be chocolate!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 HIaFjoe

Karentia... The film illustrated is "Help, I'm a Fish" (also known as "A Fish Tale") for which Alan did the voice of Joe (the megalomaniac villain of the piece). Video of Joe singing "Intelligence" is here. It's actually a pretty nicely done film, not just for kids. I didn't really expect to enjoy it, but I did since some of the themes in it were on an adult level. (I just used a foreign language version of the poster as a pic since I don't have an English version that shows most of the characters nicely, just one where Joe is rather dimmed out lurking in the background!)
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:51 am

I admit I'm an old fashioned girl when it comes to animation and 3D. I see life in three demensions and I look to escape into film.As for that surreal animation,either make it a cartoon or obvious it's a representation,please. Realistic body movements with not quite human features is too Twilight Zone for me to be comfortable.

Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm enjoying seeing where they can take the new technologies. And I love old school animation. Best of both worlds for me.

Had not seen this one come out, but had seen it on your list somewhere Always. Thank you for the cover - educational!

Since I haven't had an outing with George in ages, we're hooking up the sleigh for anyone wanting a ride! Come join us!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Jamie and I will watch and wave from the large bay window while we enjoy the blazing fire.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 Seminar89

NY Timeout picks "Four shows to see and how to talk about them" :
Seminar
One of the clear standouts on Broadway right now is Seminar, Theresa Rebeck’s fantastic new comedy starring Alan Rickman as a cynical onetime literary star who teaches a creative-writing course to a group of budding scribes on the Upper West Side. In your convo about the play, bring up ace creative-writing teacher characters from the past (Jeff Daniels in The Squid and the Whale and Michael Douglas in Wonder Boys come to mind) and weigh Rickman’s excellent performance against them. Then confirm your own literati status by discussing the heartbreaking new screenplay or book you’ve secretly been working on for the last ten years. (If you have nothing in the works, just lie. It’ll stay between us.)
Karentia... Alex and I are going to join Maxe and Jamie and watch you and George through the window tonight! Maybe tomorrow we'll join up with you two for a ride through the snowy countryside. Alex wants to know if he can borrow some of George's leather outfits and heavy velvet cloaks to keep warm. Hmmm... I'd love to see that!

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 SeminarPlaybillFramed

I had read some obits on John Nettleship (said to have been JKR's inspiration for Snape) last year when he passed away, but just ran into this one with some great AR/Snape-related quotes:
Mr Nettleship discovered his link to Professor Snape when he was played by Alan Rickman in the record-breaking movie franchise.

He said at the time: “The first I knew was when a someone knocked on the door and said: ‘You’re Professor Snape aren’t you’.

“I suppose I was quite strict as a teacher, but I said to my wife: ‘They think I’m Professor Snape.’

“She said: ‘Of course you are – but I didn’t want to tell you’.”
“Quite a lot of my ex-pupils recognise the original character when they see the film. They come to me and say, ‘We saw you in the movie, sir’. But I just laugh about that. The great thing though is that Alan Rickman was picked to play the character and the ladies think he is good. That made things better.”
The Dallas Voice opines on the best plays on Broadway:
The best new plays now running should be on any theatergoer’s list. Seminar is Theresa Rebeck’s smart, fast-paced comedy about a pompous but oh-so-perceptive writing teacher instructing four aspiring novelists about how bad they really are … and how they could be great. As the sardonic anti-hero, the magnificent Alan Rickman commands the stage. At a climactic point, he delivers a monologue that could have seemed trite and mawkish, except that Rebeck’s writing is so strong and he’s such an accomplished actor it works wonderfully. Hamish Linklater provides a terrific foil, and Lily Rabe, as a tart upper-class dilettante, handles Sam Gold’s bullet direction masterfully. No one even pauses for the laughs. That’s a good way to get audiences back — so they can hear the jokes they missed this first time.
Meanwhile Broadway.com muses about the Tony race, with a great line:
Seminar
The dark horse: Prolific playwright Theresa Rebeck (soon to get national exposure with Smash) is a master at plotting and zinger-filled dialogue, and her current comedy boasts an unbeatable cast led by God…er, Alan Rickman. Who would think that a play about a novel-writing workshop (!) could be such a crowd-pleaser?
Maxe will like that her Jamie got a nod from the Guardian (UK) today in an article called "Ghouls on film: why women make the scariest ghosts":
Even Britfilm has its benign male spectre – Alan Rickman in Truly, Madly, Deeply, whose modus operandi is, rather than terrorising his bereaved girlfriend, behaving like a regular partner by inviting his ghostly pals back to her place to watch videos, and generally behaving like a slob. Like latterday vampires of the bloodless Twilight persuasion, these are the sort of ghosts you could probably take home to meet mum without giving her conniptions.
Seminar's fb page is announcing:
Here's something we know you will love! On Tuesday January 24th following the show, Leonard Lopate of WNYC will chat with the entire cast of Seminar On Broadway! Lily Rabe, Jerry O'Connell, Hettienne Park, Hamish Linklater, and Alan Rickman! Get your tickets for before it sells out. You don't want to miss out on seeing this.
Hollywood Soapbox says:
Definitely sign up for Alan Rickman’s ‘Seminar’

Alan Rickman in 'Seminar' -- Photo courtesy of Jeremy Daniel
Seminar, Theresa Rebeck’s often hilarious new play currently running at the Golden Theatre on Broadway, features a performance from Alan Rickman that is masterful, witty and precise. It’s one of the best performances in an otherwise ho-hum Broadway season.
After watching Rickman’s impressive performance, I don’t feel a need to sign up for Leonard’s seminar. His painful rolls of the eyes are too much to handle. But watching him lampoon others is oddly (and selfishly) entertaining.
Nouse (Univ. of York's newspaper) ponders in post-BAFTA nomination melancholy, "Why isn’t Harry Potter a proper film?", including:
Alan Rickman as Severus Snape throughout the series created a character who was more profoundly complex than the other nominations in his category. Not only was the consistency and development of his performance almost unblemished across the series, but one of the greatest portrayals of the villain, with whom we empathise unfailingly at his demise. He should have got the Best Actor in a Supporting Role.
Another Seminar stage door video, this time from Hollywood.tv. Love Jerry O'Connell's comment at the start!

Last edited by Always on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:22 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : added stuff... and more stuff...)
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:17 am

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 Seminar105viaAncia
Photo courtesy of Ancia

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal picks its Best and Worst Films of 2011. In the favorite movie memories:
3. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2.”

Directed by David Yates. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint literally grew up on screen as Harry, Hermione and Ron, respectively, and the cinematic translation of J.K. Rowling’s books ends in high style with an all-out wizards’ war on the steps of Hogwarts. Incredible pacing with an emphasis on action, a perfect finale to eight films in 10 years. Alan Rickman stands out as Severus Snape. Potter finale deserves a Best Picture nomination. It won’t get it.
The Seattle Times does some Oscar musing:
Best supporting actor

Sure things: Elder statesmen do well in this category, so expect to hear the names of Christopher Plummer (probably for "Beginners," not "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo") and Max von Sydow ("Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"). Kenneth Branagh also seems likely on the ballot for his skillful impersonation of Sir Lawrence Olivier in "My Week with Marilyn."

Not so certain: I'm hoping the Academy will realize that it's their last chance to honor Alan Rickman's oozingly perfect work as Severus Snape; this time in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2"?
Cleveland.com handicaps the Oscar race:
Best Supporting Actor

•Statuesque: Viggo Mortensen ("A Dangerous Method"), Christopher Plummer ("Beginners"), Kenneth Branagh ("My Week with Marilyn"), Ben Kingsley ("Hugo"), Albert Brooks ("Drive").

•Party-Crashers: Jonah Hill ("Moneyball"), Max von Sydow ("Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"), Patton Oswalt ("Young Adult")

•Long Shots: Jeremy Irons was flat-out excellent as the soul-devouring CEO in "Margin Call." And could we please give Alan Rickman some sort of prize for his wicked-good portrayal of Professor Snape in no less than eight Harry Potter movies? Dude deserves it.
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:59 am

As much as I adore Viggo Mortensen and Kenneth Branagh...and admire Christopher Plummer, I really wish the golden statue could find its way to Alan Rickman,if not only for remarkable Snape but the entire career he's had creating wonderful roles,large and small. As I've said before other performers have received the honor with barely any air time at all...Dame Judith for example.

I'm not sure AR really cares that much about awards but the buzz would help any production he chooses to participate in and that could help future stage work and fund raisers.And besides,it's the Right Thing..
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:50 pm

By the way, of course he may borrow some leather & furs, etc. I'm sure they will fit very well!

Since we have no more snow here - will have to take the sleigh to the SnowCake Mountains now for any more winter sports.

You have to wonder if anyone in the right circles has ever bothered to watch the Harry Potter phenomena or just figured it was a kids film? Good grief, how far from the truth. Once they get their heads out of their arses, they will realize what an opportunity was missed. *hmph*, not soon enough.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2 - Page 11 Seminar108byLorrieTKibler
Photo by Lorrie T. Kibler

Really nice stage door Alan pic posted on the Seminar fb page.

Next Movie continues to wave the Oscar flag for DH2:
Distinguished Thespian Alert: Although no actor has received an Oscar nomination for the Potter films, "Deathly Hallows" features a standout, tear-jerking performance by Alan Rickman, who transforms perfectly from the perpetually sneering "greasy-haired git" to the Severus Snape who can make us cry with just three little words: "Look at me."

Dan Radcliffe did his own campaigning for the Slytherin professor, saying in a press conference, "The performance I found the most moving was Alan Rickman's. I do think it’s the performance of his career ... I think he should get nominations for Best Supporting Actor because it's so touching and beautiful what he does." We couldn't agree more.
Well, we'll know for sure who made the nominations tomorrow...

It's tomorrow. No Oscar nod for Alan. Sad Disappointed but not surprised at the Academy's lack of perception. Only 3 nominations for DH2 at all, in technical areas.

The Seattle Times mourns in their commentary on Oscar snubs, "The Academy of the Overlooked":
-- And finally: Alan Rickman, in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2." Sigh. All the love for "Hugo" indicates that the Academy isn't entirely opposed to supporting what's essentially a children's film. So what gives, Academy? What does this man have to do to get nominated?
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum