Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is Your Bookmark?

+5
Karentia
Ezzy
Lady
Maxecat
I-Pie
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Where is Your Bookmark? - Page 3 Empty Re: Where is Your Bookmark?

Post  ladyhawke Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:32 pm

So many books, so little time!

I finally finished up the last of the Quiller spy novels, and have dabbled in a James Bond or three, but I'm trying to branch out a little more.

I have read a couple of the Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs Pendergast thriller/mysteries, and am currently completing The Wisdom of Compassion, which details a lot of different public appearances by the Dalai Lama.

I got Chess for Dummies from my public library on Kindle, to try to improve my game a little bit. Frankly, I think the only thing that will improve my game is playing more ... but I have beaten my chess app on stupid level twice in a row!
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Lady had to giggle at your chess remark, Dad was so excited to win against the computer this morning (intermediate setting) it was like he was a little kid.

Oh and for those interested Tundiel Mehtarion"s (aka Tara) book information can be foundhere.

Last edited by Weesa on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:20 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : adding)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:54 am

Morning all

Karentia I will check those books out, sounds like some right up my alley! The third in the Viral series, came in yesterday so now I have new reading material for the weekend, Whoo Hoo!!! Just finished Dan Browns Digital fortress, a good read if you like his writing! keeps you guessing to the end!

Have a great day all!

samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:04 pm

A friend and I resolved to connect better, and decided to do it through reading ... so we are buddy reading Illusions by Richard Bach.

ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Had not seen that out, thanks for letting me know! Last I read of Richard Bach was 'One'. Was very interesting!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 am

Tundiel Mehtarion's (Tara) book has been released as an ebook. It is available for the Kindle and the Nook. The title is If The Shoe Fits and she is using the pseudonym Amber T. Smith. It cost me $4.74 to get it on my Nook. Funny it's the first nook book I've actually paid for, been reading the free books ever since I bought it. Anyway back to the book it's absolutely hilarious (at least I think so) and barring some typos was worth the money spent to support a friend and budding author.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Red Land, Black Land - Barbara Mertz
About daily life in ancient Egypt. The author wrote the Amelia Peabody series of mysteries under the name Elizabeth Peters. Fascinating stuff.

Age of Odin - James Lovegrove
This ex-soldier answers an ad for mercenaries and ends up as a soldier in a whole different kind of army.

Hell House - Richard Matheson
audiobook ... listening to it while I walk. I read it years ago and loved the movie.
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 am

I've read the Vicky Bliss series by that author under the Elizabeth Peters name it was pretty good.

Not enough hours in the day to read much right now. Still if I find something new that sounds promising I may be able to squeeze it in. study

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Just finished re-reading 'Ringworld,' Larry Niven's SF classic. Before that, 'Inferno' by Dan Brown, and 'The Human Division' by John Scalzi. Not sure if I want to hit B&N or start re-reading something else.

Re. 'Inferno', I thought 'The Lost Symbol' was better. Loved the whole 'noetics' thing and the Masonic history was quite interesting.
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:07 pm

""Age of Odin - James Lovegrove
This ex-soldier answers an ad for mercenaries and ends up as a soldier in a whole different kind of army. ""

Have you read 'Glory Road' by Robert Heinlein? Sounds similar. "Are you a coward?..."
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:21 am

While I've been unable to get online I re-read the Harry Potter series. Always feels like visiting old friends.

To encourage the kids to read more I read two books from each of their personal libraries.

The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry it's a sweet romance for young girls.

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith while not my usual taste in books it was better than I thought it would be.

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan I'm cursing my nephew because I didn't think I would like the book, wrong, now I have to
get the rest of this series and the Percy Jackson one so that I can get the complete story. Ah well at least I'll have something new
to read.

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas I've seen several movie versions and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the book. Very good read.

Also read some of Louisa May Alcott's less familiar works on my Nook like Little Button Rose, cute with a good message.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:42 am

""The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas I've seen several movie versions and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the book. Very good read.""

Look for 'The Black Count', the story of Dumas' father, Alex, who inspired many of the stories his son is famous for. A contemporary and rival of General Bonaparte. Some fascinating history.
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:26 am

Morning all

Ha ha Weesa yep the Percy Jackson series and most of the rest of his books are good reads, they move well the characters are nicely fleshed out and they move well, was quite pleased with all of them!

Still waiting on the Library to get to the Inferno, and the latest JKR book, by the time I have read them it will be Christmas time, sigh!

Greatheart you are right the book the 3 musketeers was a good read full of good plot and adventure, grew up reading classic illustrated comics as a kid couldn't wait until the Librarian would let me go upstairs to check out the printed versions of them, read all the classics Man in Iron Mask, Hunchback of Notre dame, Les Miserables, 3 Musketeers, Treasure Island, Moby Dick and sooooo many more, what better way to relax as a kid than classic writing at it's best! Fun when a movie does the story justice!

Hope you all have a great day!
samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:18 pm

Hoping to get to the library soon to gather up a few good reads. Right now no time for it busy busy busy seems to be my mantra this week.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:26 am

Just started into "The Mallet of Loving Correction" by John Scalzi, a collection from his blog site. "Whatever." The title derives from the metaphorical 'mallet' he uses for moderating comment strings on his blogs. (The cover illustration of John malleting a troll should explain it ;-) )
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 am

sounds interesting Greatheart i will have to check it out, I am almost #1 on the list at the Library for Inferno and jkr's new one so those will get read soon, right now I am reading as many of the brother Cadfael series as I can get my hands on love the simple life with the twist and turns of political unrest that was present during the time, it is starting to get cooler around here so more time for reading and less time for working outside in the garden sigh perfect!

Have a great day!
samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:40 am

If you'd like to check out John Scalzi's work, look here-

http://whatever.scalzi.com/

His recent column on 'communication...' is worth a read. He also provides guest space for various authors to describe how they came to write their latest books; some interesting stuff pops up there. (under the heading 'The Big Idea)

(I'm also re-reading his novel 'Redshirts', which just won the Hugo award. Interesting take on SF TV series writing. The title comes from a well-known phenomenon on 'Star Trek' ;-) )
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Reading both the Coocoo's calling and Dan brown's Inferno at the same time have had them on hold at the library forever and they finally came in together of course only have 2 weeks to read both of them about 1/2 way through them both! liking this story by JKR a whole bunch better than Casual Vacancy.
samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Read The Five People You See In Heaven. My niece had to read it for her Honors Lit class, so I read it in case she had any questions. Was better than I thought it would be. Guess they made it into a movie a few years ago too, Mom and Dad have seen it.

Haven't had much of a chance to read anything else lately. Sad 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:30 am

Finished both the Inferno and Cuckcoo's calling, loved the inferno it kept you on the edge of your seat as did the rest of his books, ended differently than I would have expected! impressed with Cuckcoo's calling liked it much better than I did Casual Vacancy and it too had an ending I didn't expect, now off to a stack of murder mysteries, I haven't read yet!
samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:01 pm

I really need to get time for a library trip. So many books I would like to read, so little time. Have been reading Aunt Jo's Scarp Bag by Louisa May Alcott on me Nook off and on this week. Cute stories.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Where is Your Bookmark? - Page 3 Empty re five people

Post  Greatheart Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:01 am

Hehehe, I once wrote a parody of that 5 people thing, about the five people you'd fly- fish with in heaven. Then to my chagrin I found that one of them was still alive! Felt like a 4-star jacka$$!

A few years later I read that he died; still haven't dug the story out and submitted it anywhere...
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:22 am

Great heart I can think of 5 people i could fly fish with but since my dad was one of them none of them would come cause he'd have told them what a lousy fly fisher I was, I would just have to be a spectator while they fished and told stories that would be better than fishing anyway. In fact I suppose heaven has a place where the flies don't rip chunks out who ever you caught right?? . Next year is supposed to be a good year for money you should send it in then it might be a best seller!

Reading some murder mysteries by Suzanne Arruda, they seem to be all centered in Africa, like the heroine Jade, so far a fun read!

samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum