Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is Your Bookmark?

+5
Karentia
Ezzy
Lady
Maxecat
I-Pie
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Where is Your Bookmark? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where is Your Bookmark?

Post  Admin Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:27 am

Finished a re-read of The Phantom of The Opera by Gaston Leroux and have now moved on to Louisa May Alcott's Hospital Sketches.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:33 pm

I was able to find a few more books in a series of the Runelords by David Farland. Different, but hooks you. Almost 3/4 through the second one now, a good 650 pager. If you are not into fantasy, weird creatures, life in about the 16th century style, maybe not for you. I'm enjoying them.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Mon May 21, 2012 11:31 am

I downloaded A Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters from my public library for my Kindle.

It's a mystery set before the turn of the Century (the 19th into the 20th) in Egypt. The main character is Miss Amelia Peabody, a rather remarkable and independent Englishwoman. I haven't even made it to the mystery part yet, I'm only about 1/3 of the way into the story, but it is a lot of fun.

I am also working my way through a series of spy novels that I have loved since I was in junior high ... the Quiller novels by Adam Hall.

And the quest to read the original Doctor Who novelizations in broadcast order continues. I have finally made it up to my favorite Doctor, Tom Baker, and so I am happily munching Jelly Babies that a dear friend just brought back from England for me as I read.
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:30 am

Just finished catching up on the Sisterhood series by Fern Michaels. The way the latest one ended I think it may be the last one of the series. Would rather have had a different ending but I know the author can't please everyone. Atleast it was ended in a way that if she wanted to she could pick it up again.

Have a couple Victoria Holt's that I will be re-reading soon just bought them to add to my collection.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:22 am

Funny, just finished book four in the Runelords & it wasn't so fun by. The 4th book. Was more tedious, but had to finish it. Got to the point about a month ago that I didn't want to pick it up, but knew I wanted to finish them. Couple pages at a time. Ack.

I now have a good size pile of used books I've picked up at Half Price Books to go through! My daughter & I went on Memorial Day, I scrounged through the clearance areas for my collections, Score! Bought everything for $1 paperbacks, $2-3 hardbacks. And because it was the holiday, received an additional 20% off! Happy day! On to Anne McCaffrey!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:17 pm

That was fun! Got through with about 4 Anne McCaffery books. Now going back to Eragon series, Morgan bought the most recent, got through them again, and has been poking me to re-read. Ok, so I'm now almost done with the second book, Eldest. She said book four is very satisfying, but also odd in places. Well, he is a young author, this is his first series... I think he is doing an amazing job with the series!

Have a huge pile of books now, my friend who got me hooked on John Ringo & David Weber just gave me 2 boxes of his books, because he has gone Kindle & won't go back. Trade for touching up a mural - they painted the room another color & didn't want to touch the area around the gecko. Works for me!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18 am

Sounds like an excellent trade Karentia. Need to do a re-read of the Inheritance Cycle myself, but I'm waiting til the fourth comes out on paperback to complete my collection. I've read it though and Morgan is right there are odd moments in it.

Just finished a re-read of Rose In Bloom myself. Makes me wish that children were taught that way now a days.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Rose in Bloom? Who is the author? What time frame? Curious.

I have 2 in softback & 2 in hardback with the Inheritance series. I do like hardbacks, and admit to only buying a few of my collection when they first came out - but at Costco at the time, so not full price. That was Order of the Phoenix actually. Love shopping the library book sales & Goodwill, pick up so many bargains! Or the hurt book section in new book stores. When I worked with Hastings in Wenatchee I found out about those & went crazy in that section - really should not have worked in a book store, was hard pressed to bring the entire paycheck home.

That is also the section I cruise through first still, in new book stores.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Rose in Bloom is the sequel to Eight Cousins both by Louisa May Alcott. Love her writing and often visit the old faves while looking for new reads.

I know the temptation of bookstores, I can't go in one without buying atleast one book. Like you I also shop the book section at Goodwill and look through the libraries sales section and the damaged section at stores. Big Lots is also a good place to find them on sale.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Have only been in one Big Lots, none are close, and have other places on the itinerary when we are going by. I will have to change that plan! Thanks for the tip!

And for some reason I never read any of her books. I've seen 'Little Women', the original movie. I think I have a copy in my book pile of 'those to read'. Really should send you a shot of that pile!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Karentia's pile of books to read.
Where is Your Bookmark? - Page 2 0730121013

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 pm

My idea of Heaven,Christmas and Birthday all in one!!!

My Kindle is great for many things,but I love the feel of a book and knowing how easy it is to go back and find a passage that struck me.
Now, for the instant gratification of downloading a book ...makes it dangerous for people who consider reading more enjoyable than eating.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:32 pm

I eat while I read, or read while I eat - never sure which is more important - just make sure it is something that won't drizzle on the book!

Thanks for posting it Weesa! I do need to organize it, and shove it more in the corner. Keep passing this place of used furniture where I bought my bookcases, they still have more of the same... running out of wall space, but I will have to do something! They buy up used furniture from places like Microsoft, when they are doing a remodel. Nice stuff!

Almost done with book #2...
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:07 am

Your Welcome Very Happy

I eat and read at the same time too. Often have some kind of music in the background to help drown out the house noise.

Can't decide what I want to read next have a few books on my Nook that I'd like to get to.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 am

Oh, so hard to choose!

Almost done with #3 Inheritance series.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Made it through 1/3 of 1Q84 before the library yanked it back off my Kindle ... it wasn't clicking for me, so I wasn't terribly upset about that. I may get back to it someday, but there are a lot of other good books to read.

I had a psychiatrist's permission to stop reading it. It made it easier.

So, anyway, I am back to working on the Quiller novels and Doctor Who books.
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 pm

1Q84? Have not heard of that. Don't think I'll try for it either.

I finished the Inheritance series. Very good! Amazing what this young man came up with!

Now I'm starting the Honor Harrington series, started by David Weber & amended by others. Double stack of books by the bed!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Never heard of either so of course I Googled. Not adding adding it to my list of things to read. Doesn't sound like my type book.

Yeah Paolini did a wonderful job creating the world of Alagaesia. There may be more books set there at a later he date he says, about characters other than Eragon.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Karentia wrote:1Q84? Have not heard of that. Don't think I'll try for it either.

It's a surrealist Japanese novel.

Also, it's around 1000 pages.

I wasn't willing to buy it, and waited about six months for it from my public library Kindle lending. It was a book club read, but I don't think anyone in the book club managed to finish it.
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:42 am

Ah, yeah, I have troubles with manga & Japanamation, don't think I could handle that. As for the number of pages, if a story is worth it, no worries! Read many in the 700+, and pretty sure a few over the 1000 mark. It's the characters, pacing & story telling ability. If they hold you in, it is worth it. If it is a battle, no, let it go. I have only stopped a few books, but then I understand they are not writing for me, but for someone else's mindscape.

Almost done with Basilisk Station, hard to put it down when they are in the middle of a battle, but macaroni salad doesn't make itself.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Just re-read The Inheritance Cycle it was the second time I read the final book.
Trying to decide if I want to do a re-read of Harry Potter or something else, hmmm.
Still waiting on the eight book in the Outlander Series to come, perhaps this fall.

Anyone know of a good new read?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:21 am

I have a thing for Kathy Reich (Bones series and books) have read all of her books there is supposed to be a new one coming out this fall, now I am reading the series with her and her son, dealing with kids who have unique powers it is a young adult novel, and kinda far out--but if you like her writing they are good, the first one is called Viral, I have Seizure and Code on hold at the library so will be able to read them pretty soon I hope! Loving being able to check books out on my tablet as well, also if you get books on the Gutenburg list there is no due date so you can take a while to read them, I am rereading Water Babies, read it a hundred years ago as a kid, it was strange then still is! Also listened to Bless me Ultima by Rudolpho Anaya, loved it, questioned all the beliefs that play a place in so many lives--sort of a test of faith book for sure! Have a great day all!
samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm

I am currently waiting for the 8th installment of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, it's supposed to be out the end of this year. Thinking of doing a re-read of Harry Potter. Always on the look out for a new read.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 am

Just finished Seizure the second young adult novel by Kathy Reichs, it is every bit as good as Viral was and it kept me glued to the page, hope the copy I have of Code comes soon, anxious to see what happens next!
samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 am

Well, I'm nearly finished with the Honorverse series - the move & other (Relay)things have me plodding through the next to last one. Although I believe the writer has produced more, I know I'll pick them up soon. He also has a series he's still producing starting with 'Armageddon Reef', about a section of humanity who fled earth due to a horrible species that was attempting to exterminate us, and has populated a new planet - about 700+ years into their time on the new planet, a cybernetic being wakes up in a cave full of high tech goodies & is given the mission to watch over the humans, teach when appropriate & keep an eye out for the aliens - hoping we have avoiding them, but .... it is a wonderful mix of sailing ships, church created by the founders with them as the gods (!), and finding the right souls to bring up to speed! Very fun! While I've been concentrating on other things he's put out two new novels for this series!

In the middle of packing I had someone loan me all of Michael Scott's Alchemist series - young adult, full of mythological people & creatures doing battle to take over the earth plain & turn over to the evil side... great read, quick paced, 5-6 books taking up a weeks' time? Give or take 10,000 years! Good books.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum