Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is Your Bookmark?

+5
Karentia
Ezzy
Lady
Maxecat
I-Pie
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Where is Your Bookmark? Empty Where is Your Bookmark?

Post  ladyhawke Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:12 pm

I read a lot, so expect to see frequent posts from me in this topic!!

When I say "a lot," I mean voluminously.

Piles.

Tons.

As of today, July 30, 2011, I have completed 100 books.

And I'm still going strong.

I love books.

I am currently reading:

Doctor Who and the Fury from the Deep - Victor Pemberton
I started off this year by deciding to read as many of the old Doctor Who novelizations as I could find, in broadcast order. This is an adventure of the Second Doctor, Patrick Troughton.

On the Beach - Nevil Shute
reread, one of my book clubs does a theme challenge each month, and I have to read a book with a summery reference in the title. Since I don't typically read the sorts of books that have summery sorts of titles or drawings of Fabio on the cover, I am resorting to apocalyptic fiction, which is one of my favorite sub-genres.

Just Finished:

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
A lot of people will really like this book.

Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
reread, needed to scrub the experience of A Discovery of Witches out of my brain).
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Where is Your Bookmark? Empty Re: Where is Your Bookmark?

Post  Maxecat Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:15 pm

I laughed when I read your need to scrub your brain free of the Discovery of Witches book...I read your notes on it...very disappointing to invest time in a novel that becomes a huge waste of time.

I had to do that when struggling to finish the final book in the Earth's Children series,Land of the Cave Bear,the Painted Caves.

Mind numbing boredom had set in but I had read the other five books and wanted to see the loose ends tied up in an interesting bow.

Nope..the most entertaining aspect of that novel has been the comments made on amazon's pages for reviews,and some fanfic ideas that sprang from the despair of others.

I can't string enough cohesive ideas together for a short story let alone a novel but gee,there should have been an editor guiding the effort along..you'd think nine years could have produced something better
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 pm

I gave up on Earth's Children either after the second book or partway into the third.

Last edited by ladyhawke on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : repeated myself)
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Oh,I continued to enjoy them,tended to skip over the repetitive parts. I have a sentimental reason for being attached to the books..I was introduced to the Clan by the man I eventually married. I thought it an intersting choice of reading material for a man. He lost interest after the second one but before that we had lots of discussions about ancient societies.

The last of the series was a huge disappointment after the intriguing start.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Where is Your Bookmark? Empty Reading

Post  I-Pie Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Currently I have three books going at the same time. I am reading

The son of Neptune from the Heroes of Olympus series

Scones & Bones from the Tea Shop Series by Laura Childs

Low-Key Genius: The Life and Work of Landscape-Gardener O. C. Simonds

I love both series.
I-Pie
I-Pie
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:48 am

Has anyone read a series called The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan? Dad just started reading them and I have to say I'm a little surprised since they aren't his usual cup of tea. Tried to read the first one myself and just couldn't get past the second page of the prologue.

I need to get Inheritance (book 4 of the cycle) and The Scottish Prisoner so I'll something to read. Need to take a break from the books in the house since I've read them all recently.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good read?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:19 pm

I've started my annual rereading of The Lord of the Rings. It gets easier every time but I'm still amazed at the work Tolkien put into the history,geneology and languages of his characters.The "foot notes" in the indices are abolutely serious as though they were documenting "real" events and the histories of these people.

I think JKR must have been a fan since the Dementors bring about the same sense of dread and fear as the Nazgul,Tolkien delighted in making up his own language and had extensive notes about characters and their families (just as she did) and the ultimate task of saving the world of elfs,dwarfs and mankind fell to someone much younger and less experienced than the great wizards and warriors.If you're going to be inspired by other writers,Tolkien was one of the greats.

And the film versions of the LOTR is a geat adaptation.I find them more true to the original than the HP series and there was a lot of material to work with them as well.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 pm

For some reason I never could get interested in LoTR. Just not my thing. Mom loves them though, has all the books including The Hobbit.
I find it's easier to read most books the more times you've read them.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:30 pm

My son feels the same way about Harry...he loved the LOTR and most syfy writers,Dune (and stuff like that) but isn't interested in boy wizards (yet, I still have hope)

It's almost like reading poetry,or Shakespearean plays....the structure is difficult and the language so different from modern novels (even though it was written in the 30s) It almost feels as though it was a translation from one or more ancient languages into the early 1900s. But once you get past that.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

The movies are so beautiful..and terrible...they bring the literature to life in the way the Potter films made Hogwarts and Hogmeade alive.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Hmm Mom loves Harry although she has only seen the movies she does own the books and will read them one of these days. She wanted to finish the movies first and now she's working on finishing another series before starting anything new.
I don't think the structure is what disenchants me. I love Shakespeare and have The Complete Works, I also enjoy poetry and have written some of my own(no I have not shared nor plan to do so). I honestly don't know what it is that put me off the series. I have tried more than once to read it but just can't get into the story.
Actually most of the books that I enjoy the most were accidental finds. For the most part I read books with a lot history in them. So Harry Potter is more the exception than the rule in my reading preference, I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading them. The same for the Sisterhood Series by Fern Michaels not my usual but, I really do enjoy them. Was also surprised to find I enjoyed the Inheritance Cycle. confused

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:39 pm

One of the joys of reading is you never know what's going to catch your fancy.There've been a few books I started and couldn't get into so I understand. Same with some movies or actors...gotta have chemistry there.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Yes! Chenistry with an author is a must. There is so much out there, why force it?

Weesa, with Robert Jordan's series don't try it if you can't make it past the prologue. I've read it all, collecting the books as I can, but they are tedious. I've never read another who was so minutely detailed! Describing what everyone wore, in the room! No, leave it.

I've been collecting old books from authors I read as a teen & up, filling in my collectios: Piers Anthony, Jack Chalker, Anne McCaffrey, Robert Aspirin, writers of fantasy from the 80's. Also collecting David Weber & John Ringo - military sf that really drew me in. There are so many good ones out there who are very prolific as well : Mercedes Lackey, Alan Dean Foster, L.E. Modesit. My favorite store is Half Price Books. They have racks of paperbacks for $1 each. When many of the books I want are out of print, that's where I'm finding my treasures.

I usually have 2-4 books going at one time. Voracious reader.

I've recently (last 3 years) started Jane Austen & her range of classic reading. Some I love, having a hard time getting into "Emma".

Joan Siddion is a good read.

Absolutely love Fanny Flagg! Have read most of hers through the library, she is on my collections list.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Tediuos may be putting it lightly. Though I have found one other book with the same type of description addiction for lack of a better term, Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I love absolutely love the movie it's actually tied for number one on my list. So a few years ago I saw that the library had it and thought it would be nice to read the book behind the movie. Couldn't do it, tried for a week to read that darn book fell asleep every time I started to read, never got through the first chapter. Sad really, maybe I'll try again sometime when I have a lot of energy to spare.
I am sucker for books I've read, if I don't own them I want them. I'm now in the process of collecting the ebook versions as well to read on my nook.
Piers Anthony's Xanth series is good as far as I've read. My brother says the more recent to the series are bit out there. I have Emma in paperback and now ebook, I like it and have read it a few times.
I'm currently re-reading Little Women. I have never been able to read multiple books at once but when left to my own devices I can get through quite a few books. The kids are amazed when I do my series re-reads of Harry and a couple other series with large books in them that I can read them so quickly and remember what I've read.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 pm

My younger son was really into the Xanth books..and Dune..

I love Little Women..reread it last spring and cried as usual.

I'm now reading Until the Twelve of Never..which is about the Betty Broderick divorce insanity and the murder of her husband Dan. Unlike the made for tv movies,this book showed the victims had some serious flaws as well.Murder worthy? Maybe not, but her lawyer husband knew how to use the system against her. I have friends living in the area when all this was going on...doctors who didn't care for the man at all...real life soap opera.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:52 pm

I just don't get how I dodged all the required reading everyone else seemed to get. There are so many classics I want to read. I do have Chaucer's Canterbery Tales I'm working my way through. Got about half way through Dante's Inferno, had to give it up for Lent. Smile

Yes, I do like detailed authors, and creative, and descriptive. I could not stand Catcher in the Rye. I have read some Hemmingway, want to try again.

Can't help it, love the authors of my early teens - they really opened my eyes to so much out there. To say I was sheltered is close to true. Books opened my world & to those beyond.

I also have a closet addiction to Clive Cussler & Dirk Pitt. Ooooooooo.

I have some of Anne Rice's Vampire series. Dead sexy. Much better than the Twi series in my eyes. And those twilights are wanna bes. Ok, nothing spectacular - and if she would have done some research to the state of Washington without just googling it... *sniff* sorry, I have a thing for authors who don't really know their subjects better. Or locales.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 am

I vaguely remember hearing about that on the news had to google her figure out who she was.

I don't know how you got that either Karentia. I took an extra year of English, or at least extra for my school we only had to have 3 English credits to graduate. Senior English was the most literature focused of all four years, but we started reading the classics in sixth and seventh grade. I also had the added bonus of parent's who like to read and collected books over the years that we were encouraged to read.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 am

Funny, mom was a reader, but of a different genre, more romance & mystery slush. She and my aunt would scream through piles of them. Those didn't pique my interest at all. Then came sci-fi & I was a goner, love at first read!

Guilty pleasure, walking through the used book sections of second hand stores. Serious envy when I go in a library.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Mystery slush? confused
I admit to owning and reading romance it's excellent for escaping the real world and easy to pick up and put down on the days I want to read but have to stop every five minutes to answer the kids questions when they're to bored to entertain themselves. You know because it's more fun to yell my name than find something to do. Rolling Eyes

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:44 pm

I like most genres..sci fy is my least favorite. I love mysteries and true crime (wonder what that says about me) Coming from not only reader parents, but classic Catholic schooling I knew more about the traditional "good books" before I ever heard of Nancy Drew. I discovered Nancy in 7th grade and used to read during class instead of paying attention to math.

I took two Dante courses in college...love the revenge in hell fantasies Dante created for enemies. Since my major was English lit I had lots of fun studying different types of writing..for modern lit I loved Faulkner,hated Hemmingway. My sons are named for poets...Dylan and T.S Eliot...

thing is, in literature,there's something for everyone out there. I can't believe people not liking to read...my great nieces are this way...they'll beg me to tell them about Harry but won't read the books for the real magic.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:51 pm

I refuse to spill the beans on the true story of Harry from the books. If the kids want to know bad enough they have to read for themselves or submit to a family reading time. They've chosen option
c neither.Rolling Eyes
Have to say that historical romance has been my fave in general but not the sappy, full of bedhopping type. More along the lines of Victoria Holt. It's nice to find the surprise book from a genre I don't read normally (like Harry) that just really grabs me. I keep telling the kids there is something you will like to read but you have to actually something before you can like it or not. study

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Lmao! 'Slush' no idea where that came from! I can't figure out any other word that I was trying to fit in there.

I've read many mysteries, I guess Agatha Christie was mom,s favorite, but they read so much, could never keep up...

I have been picking up Shakespear as I can, good read for sure! Niel Gaimon is a new favorite having written 2 of my favorite movies as books first - 'Stardust' and 'Mirrormask'.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:46 pm

I love books too. I was grown up in family full of reading people. I remember sitting myself on the floor and playing with something while my grandparents from mother`s side were having cofee, smoking and reading books. I imitated them and soon I was asking about what this and that letter is. And I tought myself how to read when I was five. (It was only one light of geniality in my life bom) Since this time I`m reading. I like the detective stories, especially clasical one like Sherlock Holmes, Agata Christie. Then I like sci-fi - A. C. Clark, Ray Bradbury... I love books full of humor, short stories, novels. My shoolmate showed me Hobbit and LOTR books far before they become so well known and I like them much. I love John Steinback`s Eastern from Eden, Betty Mac Donald`s books, Patrick Ryan How I won the war, Gerrald Durrell`s books, Will Smith books and so many others, can`t remember them now.
Lady
Lady
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Just finished reading The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon. Brilliant, she writes her characters so well. Couldn't put it down once I started reading. study
There is a sneak peak into events from book eight of the main Outlander Series that will drive you batty if you're "patiently" waiting for it to be finished.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Oooo, I read the first one and it is very good! Catching up with so many authors. Packing all my books but the Eragon series, and a few from Anne McCaffrey.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezzy Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello everyone:
I just finished reading False Prophet by Faye Kellerman. I love the characters and learning a little about the Jewish faith. I am a mystery / Sci-Fi reader when I stay still and I am not with various forms of electronics. javascript:emoticonp('Very Happy')
Ezzy
Ezzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum