Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Science Fiction fans here?

5 posters

Go down

Any Science Fiction fans here? Empty Any Science Fiction fans here?

Post  Greatheart Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 am

I've been a SF fan for a looooong time, since the mid '60's. Cut my teeth on 'Lost in Space' and 'Star Trek', then got into books. Some favorite authors - Poul Anderson, Robert Heinlein, and lately John Scalzi. Plus Larry Niven, either solo or with others. (Still hoping they film 'Ringworld' before I die ;-) )

Scalzi's latest book comes out soon, a continuation of his 'Old Man's War' series. And there's talk of OMW being filmed sometime.

And for those of you who liked 'Ender's Game', the movie is coming in December, I hear. Been waiting a long time for that one, too. Pity the buggers...

Last edited by Greatheart on Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : kant spel)
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Any Science Fiction fans here? Empty Re: Any Science Fiction fans here?

Post  Admin Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 pm

I think Always is a sci-fi fan and I'm sure she could really liven your discussion. Personally I've never been a real fan of the genre but Mom is so I know some of the popular television shows. She lives on the SyFy channel.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Wed May 08, 2013 8:19 am

It's a pretty broad genre, everything from 'hard' stuff - think 'space exploration' to near-fantasy to all kind of oddities.

One personal favorite is Heinlein's 'Glory Road', in which a young army veteran is recruited for a dangerous mission in an alternate universe where technology doesn't work, but 'magic' does. Lucky he can use a sword well...

Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Always Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 am

Well, I'm a sci fi fan, but not as deeply into it as in my younger years when I was an avid sci fi reader. Loved Verne and Wells, but also some slightly more modern writers as well. Asimov was always brilliant, loved Herbert's Dune tales and Bradbury's fantasy-tinged sci fi (loved him too... wonderful man), Heinlein was thought provoking, etc. Today the sci fi I enjoy is more on the light/fantasy side, such as Doctor Who. I find I am not really drawn into reading it as much these days, more into an audio-visual trek, and yes, I still enjoy Star Trek in its various incarnations. I enjoy the realms of the fantastic and of the imagination... whatever the "label" may be!
Always
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Tue May 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Greatheart, it looks like our sf fan experiences are pretty similar ... I both look forward to and fear the Ender's Game movie. From what I've heard they are already "doing it wrong." Oh well. it might be entertaining just so long as I don't try to compare it to the books.

My favorites are Harlan Ellison, William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Robert Heinlein, Philip K. Dick, Ray Bradbury, and I've also really enjoyed John Scalzi. My favorite of his is Android's Dream.
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Tue May 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Hehehe, just re-read 'The Android's Dream' recently, still cracks me up. Scalzi's newest. 'The Human Division', is just out and I'm looking forward to that. Still a toss-up which of his books is my favorite, AD, 'Zoe's Tale' or 'Agent To The Stars'. 'Redshirts' was good but it really doesn't 'get' you 'til the very end.

Right now re-reading Jack McDevitt's 'A Talent For War', quite possibly the best sf/mystery ever written.

Plus the new Star Trek movie is out this week, and Dan Brown's newest book, and...

Makes me want to quit my job ;-)
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 am

Looking forward to Dan B's new book and just finished the Viral series by Kathy Reichs and her son, (young adult) well written and exciting from a kids point of view, 2nd hunger games movie is coming, looking forward to see how much they miss in it, new Star Trek movie oh the list goes on and on!
samtibbs123
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Been a while since this topic was active. Didn't care much for 'Inferno', the fourth 'Robert Langdon' book from Dan Brown. There's a rumor that Ron Howard will direct 'Inferno' but 'The Lost Symbol' film seems to be on hold. I'd rather have that one as a movie, myself.

Re-reading the 'Fleet of Worlds' series from Larry Niven and and Edward Lerner. This series gets into the whole back story of the 'Puppeteers' from 'Ringworld' in new ways, and the final book wraps up both the FoW series -and- the Ringworld series. A lot going on!

Recently re-read 'Ender's Game' in anticipation of the movie. The trailer looks pretty doggone good, in spite of the obvious differences from the book.

And even if it's fantasy rather than SF, I'm really looking forward to part 2 of The Hobbitt.
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Any Science Fiction fans here? Empty 'Agent to the Stars' - free

Post  Greatheart Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:29 am

John Scalzi's first novel, 'Agent to the Stars' - is available free on-line. The story of how aliens introduce themselves to the people of Earth - they hire a Hollywood agent. Starts funny, gets very serious, ends hopeful.

Warning, adult content and language

http://scalzi.com/agent/
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down