Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Alan Rickman - Something the Lord Made - Part 2

Post  Always on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Alan at the Only Make Believe gala. The NY Press had this to say about the event:
Also having a mini-reunion were Professor Snape a.ka. Alan Rickman and his seven-time pupil Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe). Neither of the Brits did interviews on the red carpet, perhaps because the press in the U.K. is so s*** to public figures (see Rupert Murdoch phone-hacking scan for evidence). Both are currently in New York for Broadway roles: Radcliffe is just finishing up his run in How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and Rickman is just kicking off Seminar, in which he plays an acerbic English professor. Since the charity sends actors to children’s wards in hospitals, Radcliffe joked during his and Rickman’s brief on-stage cameo, “We know first-hand how great it is to bring magic into the hearts and imaginations of children.”
SnitchSeeker presents a new DH2 "For Your Consideration" banner from WB. No pic of Alan, but he and Ralph Fiennes are listed under the "Supporting Actor" heading.

NY Time Out presents their list of the 12 hottest leading men on Broadway, including:
Alan Rickman
That contemptuous drawl. Those sleepy eyes. That peculiarly effective way he paces. His. Words. Rickman is the intellectual hottie in this crew, and he’s opening a new chapter as a literary star in Theresa Rebeck’s comedy Seminar.
And Pataphysical Science (yes, that's really its name) has an article on Jerry O'Connell, once again proving he is definitely an Alan fanboy.
Usually at these events, there's an awkward silence until somebody is brave enough to ask the first question, but O'Connell just said (after shaking everybody's hands), "Where should I start?" and without even waiting for an answer, decided to start by talking about Alan Rickman. He spoke about just watching Rickman act. He spoke about how everyone in the cast has been so terrific and helpful and welcoming. He told us about going out with his castmates after the show and how they fight over the jukebox, though it's mostly Hamish Linklater and Lily Rabe who get into debates about the music (O'Connell said he's happy with some Britney.) He said sometimes Rickman joins them and that he always tries to pick up the check.
Tamsin... Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor Who, too. He was terrific. And Maxe... yes, I did like David Tennant in his manic sort of way as well, but somehow doubt he would return as the Doctor since he has been there, done that, regenerated and all. I really like the current doctor, Matt Smith, but somehow haven't heard any mention of him being in the film. In fact, rumor has it, he'll only be doing one more season of the show. With the Doctor, one never knows! I doubt Alan would accept the role, but I'd love it if the script was so wonderfully intricate and deep that he couldn't resist!
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Potions Mistress on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad to be here.

I never had a chance to get into Doctor Who, although I have several friends (besides you folks!) who are. I'll trust your judgment that Alan would make a good Doctor (although, truthfully, he'd probably make a good anything!)

It's so good to hear more good press regarding Seminar. The Jerry O'Connell story was cute. Of course Alan is the kind of guy who would try to pick up the tab... *sigh* Always the gentleman.
Potions Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Seminar pic by Joan Marcus

Love the way Alan is sitting in this pic. He looks like a little kid.
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:05 am

That's a great photo!

I'm glad you liked Jon Pertwee too, Always! He and Tom Baker were the backdrop to my youth. Many failed attempts did I make, at knitting a Tom Baker scarf. Very Happy

I liked the Empire take on the Dr Who movie issue. They have a nice pic of Alan in their list of possibles, and this nice comment:

"Certainly the fine old tradition of new actors reinventing the role almost from the ground up means that we can hardly object to recasting in principle, and that we should look forward to whatever they’d bring. The success of the recent TV outings means they may well veer young, but who knows? Yates has worked closely with Alan Rickman, and that’s a tasty prospect."

Indeed .... Very Happy

Last edited by Tamsin Yeobright on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Tamsin Yeobright

http://www.aludditeonline.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:13 am

What a shame Dan can't make a guest performance or two in Seminar...imagine the chemistry there!

I got to watch Dr Who in 1968-69 when I was living at home but I'm not sure what season the PBS channel was showing. It was one of the older Doctors. I caught up again with Tom Baker.Not everywhere I moved had access to a PBS station.Then the whole thing started again in '04 -'05 with everything new but the Daleks.Can't say with honesty I'm a true Whovian but I adored the seasons with David. I enjoy Matt Smith but don't think the stories are quite as good.

I'm not sure a film would have to keep the current Doctor even if David wanted to reprise the role..he seemed to have had a lot of fun with it.I'd love for him and Donna to have another adventure,but I'd be over the moon to see a glimpse of Rose and the Doctor in their parallel world. Very Happy

Maybe Alan could be an arch rival of the Doctor...or a befuddled observer..or a wise counselor?

I think his range just stretches year after year. It's fun waiting to see what he's involved in next.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:29 am

Photo by Sara Krulwich, NY Times

Thanks for the lead, Tamsin. The whole article Empire did on Doctor Who is well done, and certainly an excellent intro to anyone who wonders what the show is about. (Alan's mention is on page 7.)

Maxe... yes, I'd love to see Dan take over one of the student roles in Seminar... He and Alan seem to have a great mentor-student rapport already! The Seminar FB page said they had photos of Dan's visit to the show and would be posting them... but we're still waiting. Apparently the most recent celeb sighting at the show was Sting, who attended with his wife a couple of days ago. They left with Alan and Rima after Alan had finished signing autographs, so that confirms that they're pals.
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks for hotlinking to the Empire article, Always!

That's a great thought Always and Maxe, about the possible reuniting of Alan and Dan. They would be wonderful in Seminar together. I hope it happens, and that Dumbledore appears at our elbows and apparates us all into great seats in the theatre!

Maxe, I agree about some of the recent Dr Who storylines. I think I prefer Richard Curtis's writing to Stephen Moffat's. Moffat can be just a bit too "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey" for me. I loved Curtis's episode, "Vincent and the Doctor." Most moving and inventive. It was great to see the "Starry Night" paintings by the kids in the school where I work. Their teacher had used their love of Dr Who to explore their new interest in Van Gogh!

I like the idea of Dan as a Dr Who companion in the movie! I would love to see Alan in the leading role. Always - yes, let's hope for an irresistible script to tempt him!
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Sting and Snape..what a concept! Show business, in its variety, does attract strange combinations.

My mind is having a hard time wraping itself around this friendship!

Tamsin,I loved that episode too. Great casting. I cried at the end. Have you ever seen any of Van Gogh's work in person? I've had a couple of opportunities..words are hopeless at expressing how moving they are.
Last year I was in San Francisco visiting my brother and we went to the Impressionists exhibit. In the Van Gogh room there was absolute silence. Starry Night was featured and people gathered as though at a shrine. It was the most amazing experience.Still get chills.

I imagine a quick rehearsal with AR and Dan with Alan whispering cues like" page 394",or "how disappointing" or "no silly wand waving" just to see who was paying attention.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Maxe, I cried at the end of that episode too! It was wonderful. Do you get the background documentaries on the filming, ("Dr Who Confidential") after each episode? The one on the Van Gogh episode was fascinating. They went to such lengths to find an appropriate cafe resembling the one Van Gogh painted - I think they eventually found one in Croatia, and still had it made over, to be an exact replica.

I've seen three of his paintings in the National Gallery of Scotland, but not any major exhibition of his work, sadly. I'm so glad you got the opportunity to do that! I have some lovely Van Gogh art prints from the aforementioned gallery, but no wall space to display them. My daughter insisted on spending her pocket money on a print of the Church at Arles painting, to take into school for "show and tell". Way to go, Dr Who!

Hee hee on the Snape and Harry phrases! Very Happy There would always be an undercurrent of their previous meeting, I guess, in the minds of the audience. Just adds to the layers of greatness! My daughter has a favourite Snape phrase, which she does very well. Whenever I tell her she knows what I asked her to do (something she hasn't got around to doing) she replies in a deep, quietly menacing tone, "You just .... know." This always makes me laugh so much she ends up getting me to help her!

Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:19 pm

That's great...a female Snape voice! Love the way AR uses phrasing to make a point,or create a mood when there are so words involved.

I've only seen Dr Who on tv so I've yet to see any background stuff. The dvds are on my wish list..waiting for a nice lottery win!
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  arcadia on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:07 pm

O MY GOD!
i just saw a newsflash on facebook....it says that this evening performance of Seminar was canceled because that Alan has an acute respiratory infection... Crying or Very sad !!
Sorry but it says here that i cannot post a link for 7 days as a new member.

arcadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Potions Mistress on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Oh no! I hope Alan recovers soon. That sounds quite unpleasant!

Entertainment Weekly has put up their annual poll of some of the 2011 Entertainers of the Year, and guess what?? Alan is up for Favorite Movie Actor! I didn't expect to see his name on the list, so that was a wonderful surprise! It looks like you can only vote once, or maybe it's once per day. I guess we'll find out. Check out the other pages to vote on some of the other topics too, if you want. In the past, EW has posted results of the online polls in their annual Entertainers of the Year issue, so let's all try to get Alan in there as the winner!

They won't let me post the link here since I'm still a new member, but I'll post it on your FB page, Always, and you can repost it here. (Sorry about that, everyone--I didn't know I couldn't post links yet.)
Potions Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:48 pm

I'd rush some soothing soup and back rubs to the Great White Way if it would help.

I didn't think I'd infect the dear boy on our secret date last weekend. My bad. Embarassed
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Alan at the Only Make Believe gala. Pic by Tristan Fuge.

Here's the official notice from the Seminar FB page:
Seminar On Broadway
Hey there fans, tonight's performance (11/17) of SEMINAR has been cancelled. Please see the official statement below:

“On behalf of all the producers, we deeply regret having to cancel tonight’s performance of SEMINAR due to Alan Rickman coming down with an acute respiratory infection. Mr. Rickman has never missed a stage performance in his entire career. He, the producers and the entire Company are deeply disappointed not to be able to deliver a show this evening. We all feel it’s in the best interest for everyone to be as healthy as possible prior to our opening this coming Sunday. We will resume performances tomorrow night, Friday, November 18.” - Producer Jeffrey Finn
Prayers and chicken soup to Alan for sure! With the actual opening day for Seminar coming up fast on the 20th, he needs to do some rapid recovery. My prayers are certainly on their way! Surely want our guy hale and hearty. sunny

Broadway.com has a great retrospective on their 6 favorite Alan films, all with clips to view. Excerpt:
It starts with the voice—a combination of purr and growl that can be sinister or suggestive, depending on the context. We’re talking about Alan Rickman, who is currently starring in the Broadway premiere of Seminar as a novelist who terrorizes four aspiring writers. Rickman is a masterful theater actor, with a pair of Tony nominations (for Les Liaisons Dangereuses and Private Lives) to show for it, as well as a critically acclaimed recent performance in John Gabriel Borkman at BAM. But he’s also a scene-stealing movie favorite whose films run the gamut of comedy, action, fantasy and romance. In honor of the star's November 20 opening night at Broadway’s Golden Theatre, we’ve gathered clips from six of our favorite Rickman film performances.
(Their six choices are: Die Hard, Truly, Madly, Deeply, Sense and Sensibility, Galaxy Quest, HP and the Sorceror's Stone, and Sweeney Todd.)

Back with Potions' link to vote for Alan in the EW Entertainers of the Year poll (well, come on, who else would you vote for?!) lol!

P.S. I totally loved the Van Gogh episode of Doctor Who. It was deeply touching and extremely well done. In fact, I was rather amazed that they achieved the depth they did. Well done!

Nice article on Alan and Seminar in today's Vogue (with a very nice pic). This one is well worth reading all the way through, but here are two excerpts:
In the market for bravura performances that capture the moral complexities and carnal magnetism of larger-than-life figures? Alan Rickman is your man. Over the years, his gift for inhabiting characters from the terrorist Hans Gruber in Die Hard to the sinister Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films has made him a movie star. But Rickman is also a superb stage actor. And now, nearly 25 years after his electrifying Broadway debut as the doomed seducer Valmont in Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Rickman is playing another charming monster, in Theresa Rebeck’s nasty, funny new play Seminar, which opens November 20 at the Golden Theatre under the direction of the prodigious Sam Gold (Circle Mirror Transformation).
In the end, Leonard is redeemed by his commitment to his own art, a quality shared by the man playing him. “Unless we tell stories about ourselves, which is all that theater is, we’re in deep trouble,” Rickman says. “It’s an age-old human need. The lights go down, our thumbs go in our mouths, and someone says, ‘Once upon a time.’ And we believe it.”
The Broadway Blog has another interview with Jerry O'Connell again talking about Alan. Excerpt:
On the advantages of knowing Serverus Snape (Alan Rickman): “I know he has that Harry Potter money but he keeps picking up checks. And you wouldn’t want to pick up the check with this cast. Trust me, you’d want to split it as many ways as you can.”

On director Sam Gold: “He’s such a young guy and so talented. …I obviously have a deep respect for him but it’s amazing to see Alan Rickman intently listening to a thirty-three year old director and hanging on his every word. It’s great. I was, like, out of college when he was born. [pause] That’s an exaggeration.”
And The New Yorker says:
Imagine the scariest writing teacher you’ve ever had—disparaging, unpredictable, merciless—and you’ve got Leonard, the character played by Alan Rickman in the new Broadway play “Seminar,” by Theresa Rebeck.

Last edited by Always on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : added info)
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsin Yeobright on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:09 am

Oh, poor, poor, Alan. That must be really hard to bear, for such a conscientious, considerate person. He'll be thinking of the folks who bought tickets, rather than his own discomfort. May he be blessed with a swift recovery.

I was amazed to read in the EW update that he hasn't missed a performance in his entire career. That's a truly remarkable achievement, and shows he must push himself very hard indeed, when not feeling his best, to play his role. I hope he's not in too much discomfort and feeling miserable, and will be better soon with appropriate treatment. They've only cancelled on night so far, but I hope he gets as much time as possible to recover properly.

Prayers and a hot toddy , Alan.

Always - that Retrospective is terrific! I've cast my EW vote for Alan, and will check back to see if it is possible to vote daily.

Last edited by Tamsin Yeobright on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
Tamsin Yeobright

Back to top Go down

Post  Weesa on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:31 am

Well I certainly hope Alan feels better soon.

As to the reason you can't post links for the first few days after you register it's to help prevent trolls and bots from attempting to take over the site.
Weesa
Admin
Admin

http://weesa-asiseeit.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  arcadia on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:51 am

So many people expressed their thoughts about his illness since yesterday and I am sure that the folks from Seminar's facebook page told Alan about all these messages.I am sure that this will bring him confort.
But i still belive it's a rather big problem now if we considerate it's the first time he misses a performance. so i'm more than worried!
And a question: how on earth do they have the official opening on 20'th if on the schedule from Seminar's site,it says something like ''sunday 20th november - no performance'' ?

arcadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:18 am

I'm still embarrassed to admit not knowing how to link things Embarassed but on Yahoo news this morning there's a lovely article on AR and the author of Seminar and how they tested each other and maintained their friendship during the development of the play.
She says he can be prickly and demanding but is generous and kind. He says he has such respect for authors because while he finds it easy to edit scripts and put in his own ideas he can't fathom writing a novel or play.

He repeats the sentiment about humans needing to tell stories and is not a favorite of reality shows which he feels are anything but real. He says a stage actor has to return to the stage..it's like their religion.

I really like this man..so much more than individual characters he's played but bits of him in each one.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:24 am

Alan at the Only Make Believe gala.

Currently the Seminar web page has a heading with the Facebook logo "Join us this Sunday for Live Opening Night Coverage". No updates as yet on their FB page, but yesterday they seemed pretty sure Alan would be back tonight.

The NY Post's Elisabeth Vincentelli commented yesterday:
It's a rare occurrence, like Halley's Comet: Tonight's performance of "Seminar" has been cancelled because the show's star, Alan Rickman, has an acute respiratory infection. According to a press statement, this is the first time Rickman had to cancel a performance in his career. I'm almost honored to have been slated to be there, then! (Under regular circumstances an understudy would go on, but tonight was a press preview.)

Rickman is supposed to be back tomorrow.
The International Business Times commented:
The stage comedy "Seminar" is nearing its Broadway premiere Sunday with Alan Rickman, who's already made history for how he handled a preview performance Thursday -- he cancelled it.

Producer Jeffrey Finn -- who explained on the show's site that the 65-year-old veteran famous for portraying the villain in "Die Hard" was suffering from a respiratory infection -- noted that of all the performances Rickman's committed himself to in 33 years, this is the first time he's taken a sick day.

The stage comedy "Seminar" is getting closer to its Broadway premiere Sunday with Alan Rickman, who's already made history for how he handled a preview performance Thursday -- he cancelled it.

"We all feel it's in the best interest for everyone to be as healthy as possible prior to our opening this coming Sunday," Finn said. "We will resume performances tomorrow night, Friday, Nov. 18."

(Here's the story Maxe mentioned... we must have been posting simultaneously!)
Yahoo News offers a well done AP story on Alan and Seminar. Excerpts:
The budding friendship between actor Alan Rickman and playwright Theresa Rebeck came to a screeching halt as soon as they started working together.

All pleasantries and tenderness were put aside when he was hired to star in her new play "Seminar," which makes its world premiere on Broadway this month. Both strong-willed, neither Rickman nor Rebeck wanted to have to tiptoe around hurt feelings.

"You hope the friendship survives the process but, unfortunately, once you're into the process of putting a play on — and a new play at that — I have to be as uncompromising as she is," says Rickman. "The animal in me takes over. You're as polite as possible, but it's not always possible."
A Shakespearean actor who performed in "The Tempest," ''Love's Labour's Lost" and "Antony and Cleopatra," Rickman hasn't had time to see the new film "Anonymous" by Roland Emmerich that contends Shakespeare was a simpleton, a fraud and perhaps a murderer. Rickman is well aware of the debate the swirls over the Bard.

"The only thing I want whenever I hear this thing being argued is, 'Please, somebody invent a time machine.' I mean, I'd really like to go back and be in the audience of the Globe as they're all screaming and shouting, booing and hissing," he says. "But then also one would find out. I don't know. I'm just glad somebody wrote them."

Rickman is a big champion of writers and so looks unhappily on the reality TV trend. Telling stories, he argues, is a human need, not just pointing a camera at people and having them babble.

"We're dead as a species if we don't tell stories because then we don't know who we are," he says. "It was always thrilling to me to see a kid lost in the new Harry Potter book."

Last edited by Always on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment)
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:18 am

Gee, the first time he has taken sick leave! It is the time of year for these respiratory problems. Would be terrible to be an actor needing to speak lines as well as walk around stage. I hope Alan gets well fast!
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:24 am

Even in a small theatre (and I'm not sure the size of Seminar's) it takes a lot of energy and stamina to perform,even if it's not a muscial. I imagine he must really feel badly if he cancelled.
My SIL called yesterday to see how I was and told me there's a nasty virus floating around. I laughed and said I could understand catching something if I was around people but I've been working around the house and haven't been out Wish I attracted money the way I attract viruses.
Maybe it's the weird weather.
Hope for the sake of the opening,and all the other actors,AR can bounce back quickly.It must be news for it to hit the wire services.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Alan and Dan backstage at Seminar. Cute pic from the Seminar FB page (also used in the EW article below).

Entertainment Weekly has the story to go with the pic.
Daniel Radcliffe goes backstage with Alan Rickman.
There was a Hogwarts reunion at Broadway’s Golden Theatre on Nov. 7 when Daniel Radcliffe nipped backstage to congratulate former Harry Potter co-star Rickman on his Main Stem return in Seminar. The actors, who were all smiles in Rickman’s dressing room after the show, are both currently gracing the Great White Way — at least until Radcliffe bows out of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying on Jan. 1.

Radcliffe picked a good date to visit. Thursday evening’s performance of Seminar — the show’s first press night before its Nov. 20 opening — was canceled at the very last minute because Rickman was suffering from an acute respiratory infection. (It’s the first time in the actor’s storied career that he’s ever missed a stage performance.) In Seminar, the 65-year-old star plays a cantankerous literary genius hosting a private seminar for four aspiring novelists in the play and obviously does a lot of talking (as well as spitting out choice insults). A rep for the show tells EW that “we expect to resume performances tonight!”
(*eta) Crushable.com reported on the visit with:
Daniel Radcliffe obviously knows the power of paying it forward. Several months ago, his Harry Potter costars popped by his dressing room while he was starring in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying on Broadway—and now he’s paid his former professor/enemy Alan Rickman a visit on his new show Seminar.
Even though Rickman is no longer playing Severus Snape, he’s still exercising the scathing insults the Hogwarts professor was known for: In Seminar, he plays a literary genius hosting a class that includes four up-and-coming novelists… and ripping them a new one, it sounds like.
The NY Press recalls Alan's "Private Lives" in a review of the new version playing on Broadway (the new one loses):
In 2002, Alan Rickman and Lindsay Duncan did a remarkable thing: They scraped years of camp off Noel Coward’s classic Private Lives, a play that had long been considered a warhorse for actresses of a certain age (starting with Tallulah Bankhead’s endless national tour during the 1940s, and then starring everyone from Elizabeth Taylor to Joan Collins). ---Instead of glamorous people doing languidly glamorous things between drawling quips, Rickman and Duncan, under the direction of Howard Davies, found the terrified, beating heart beneath the Art Deco lacquer, and the result has lingered in memories for the last decade.

Broadway Buzz has another poll to vote for "Who's Broadway's Sexiest Man Alive". Alan currently is nicely in the lead.

By the way, there's a video uploaded to Youtube with a few bits from Seminar (actual tapes of the stage performance). I'm not linking to it due to the site rules... there is, as we know, adult content/language in the play, but I've linked to it on my fb page (or I'm sure you can find it with a quick search on Youtube).

Last edited by Always on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added info)
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Potions Mistress on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks for posting the EW poll link, Always! It looks like you can only vote once from each computer. I'll try to remember to vote from my work computer on Monday.

I saw the story/photo with Dan on the EW site today, too, and wanted to make sure it got posted here. I'm glad you saw it and posted it! I understand about the posting links thing, Weesa--my apologies if it sounded like I was complaining. I just felt silly, was all. Smile

I'm hoping (and assuming) the show went on tonight. I think after all these years, Alan deserves a sick day.
Potions Mistress

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:12 am

Photo by Jess Gore posted on Seminar Facebook page

Alan was back last night, and, from the pic above which was taken after last night's performance, in good spirits. Glad to see he's back to wearing a scarf! (Now he just needs a bit heavier coat.)

There's a really good article on Alan in The LA Times (dated 11/20, so I guess it will appear in tomorrow's paper). Excerpt:
Alan Rickman: Truly, deeply appealing

Over the years, the British actor has built an impressive gallery of rogues and romantics. To him, it's just storytelling — and a love of language.

Alan Rickman is aroused from a heavy-lidded languor recognizable from so many of his performances when the talk turns to a longtime crush. No, it's not Rima Horton, the economist he's lived with in London for 34 years. Nor is it the stage, which he still finds terrifying. What really excites him — truly, madly, deeply — is the English language.

"It's so rich and cruel and beautiful, like a fireworks display, and yet it can be so subtle and so crude," says the 65-year-old classical actor and director. "Marry that to the stage and something mysterious happens. Don't ask me what. It's magical."
Do read the whole article! Lots of good Alan-isms in it!

Meanwhile Raving Mad Scientists offers a fan review of Seminar. Excerpt:
The cast was MARVELOUS. I haven’t mentioned this yet but Leonard is played by the legen-wait for it-dary, god-among-men, Alan Rickman. He’s every bit as good (and more) as you’d think, if you have a pulse or enjoy films. There’s a bit of Severus Snape in there (he is a scathing Professor after all), but this is still a completely different character. Leonard is a womanizer, but he’s honest. If he tells you your story sucks, it does. Rickman speaks every line with contempt, experience, and almost tragedy. It feels cliche to say that he was “mesmerizing” to watch, but that’s the best description I can come up with. When he was on stage, you couldn’t take your eyes off him.

Last edited by Always on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Yes, I can see language must be important to him. He uses it so well,lovingly,scathingly,teasing,luring.
I hadn't realized the stage frightened him...interesting. So,maybe he'd really love doing a lecture series,either live or taped live on the strength and fluidity of language.

I'm glad he was able to perform. Amazed he could rebound so quickly...maybe Madame Pomfrey made a hasty apparition to help out.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum