Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Venting Room

+5
Always
Magical Music Dreamer
Lady
Admin
Karentia
9 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Venting Room - Page 3 Empty Re: Venting Room

Post  Maxecat Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:55 am

The ultimate down side to taking a lower position is economic.As it is now I will be looking for a 15-20 hour a week job in the next week or so to help with existing and past bills. A drastic reduction in pay could put us out of our home which wouldn't be so bad but we'd most likely have to put the pets up for adoption or have them destroyed because no rental place around here allows pets.It seems ridiculous to hang onto a financial drain so animals won't be abandoned but I would be emotionally destroyed if I hurt innocent pets because of money issues.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  muggleborn Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Maxe, not sure if you have considered this or if it would be worth looking into, but what about teaching/training? With all of his business/management knowledge and experience maybe he could teach at a community college or tech school? Or what about human resources, since he would know what to look for in a good employee? Just throwing ideas around.
muggleborn
muggleborn
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm open to any and all ideas but until he lets go of the past I doubt he'll consider them. We do have a branch of a state college in town and they're always expanding their courses. I wonder what the critertia is for teaching? Most of the teachers I'm aware of are retired from the local school system.

I think we both would like to move south. In northern Florida we have friends in the south,my brother. Always something going on there,but I'm keeping all options open.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Am I misunderstanding things? Did he actually get fired? Or is it bluster and threats? Why would you need to work more if you are already a teacher's aide?
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:44 pm

No,he hasn't been fired but is threatened every time his boss is in the store or has access to a phone or computer..not a pleasant way to do business.

He's trying to find something to either allow for a place to go after a firing or give him the opportunity to walk away to something better.Since his boss can't find managers for 3 existing stores it'd be foolish for him to fire someone who has documentation of the successes created for the company in a year,unless the company thinks it will benefit by hiring someone at a smaller salary and forces a firing.

While I love what I do,I only get paid for a 35 hour week even though I'm there over 40. It's less than what I made on unemployement.In order for us to do repair work that will make the house more sellable extra income is required and he can't fit more hours in the day.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 am

Ok, I'm understanding now. Definately a good idea to have a backup plan for if it happens, rather than be caught flat footed. Have you considered a head hunter? Consult with someone who is always looking for someone to fill specific jobs - they are around, but I'm not sure how you would find one in your area, or if they exist in a rural location. Versus New York & LA.

Sucks to have to add another job on top of yours, Maxie. Yes, I understand the reason too. Another reason why I prefer to rent. Funny, I buy a car & rent home space where others buy their homes but lease a car. Go figure. As you say, perfect opportunity around the corner? Hope so!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:17 am

maxecat, are you in good enough shape to be a caretaker a few hours a day for an older person? In LA we even have day care places for old adults while their children work.

And for many other people, they want someone to come into the home for a few hours a day instead of sending them to a day care center.

My sister has a friend who lives in Palm Springs, CA (kind of a fancy place). She baby sits homes when they are out of town. Also when a house is for sale, she baby sits the house when people come to look at it in a Open House.

Some people find extra work by doing errands for people in business who don't have time to do them.

Or library work?

Just thoughts.

Hugs,
MMD
Magical Music Dreamer
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 am

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions. Many I looked into before I got hired by school.
I would love a library job but here only the top positions are paid,everything else is voluntary (small town=small budget for amenities like a public library)
Against Larry's wishes I looked into caretaking for the elderly but what I've found is a minimum of 8 hours at a time and usually an overnight situation which isn't feasible. Also,medically I'm no longer cleared to lift more than 25lbs so getting folks up and down would be a problem.
I guess it's back to food service or convenience store work. At least I wouldn't need a lot of training Laughing

I'm keeping my options open and not trying to push anything. All I want right now is 2-3 evenings a week which doesn't give me a lot of bargaining room. I need the time off on weekends for house stuff but I imagine most people would like to fill at least one of those days. I'll probably try both of our old businesses. I get gas at the one closest to home and the original store reopened this week.The worst that can happen is a rejection,right?

I love the other sitting ideas. Some years ago Larry had a plan to organize a group of home repair people,errand runners and 'personal' assistance jobs...sort of like an Angie's list before we ever heard of it...He would research the reliability and place people in jobs for a small fee. Unfortunately,Larry never follows through on these ideas and he's had some great marketing ones in the past. Sad

We'll see what today and this week brings. You never know!
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  muggleborn Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 am

Maxe, I must have totally missed something. Are you looking for a job too? What happened with the school?
muggleborn
muggleborn
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 am

No,muggleborn,you haven't missed much...I only just posted I'm looking for a night part time job so I can do some things around the house. Plus,I'll need something for the summer. My contract with the school district ends June30 and I won't know until August if there'll be the same need for kindergarten classes.
Last year my classroom was created right before school started because there were so many new children registering late. We may not need 6 classes of Kinder kids this fall.
Since it took me 16 months to get this job I don't want to start too late looking for something "just in case".
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 am

Well, at least at the store you know how to do it all, and you would be the employee, not having the responsibility of the boss! If you start there 3 nights a week, and letting them know you would be able to expand hours in the summer, when I'm sure it's busier, win win it seems.good luck with that! Very Happy
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 am

Maxecat I am so sorry to hear of Larry's work conditions, though it does explain why the Dollar General stores here are mostly undesirable places to shop. Hope he finds something soon, I can't really understand why age plays a factor in hiring, I would think they would hire the person who was ready, willing, and able to do the job the best. I'm sure you'll find something for yourself too. Will think positive thoughts for both of you. :hug:

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks,Weesa. I find it embarrassing when people make those observations about the usual conditions of the DG stores. They don't sweep and mop the floors daily. We did that several times a day at our little place...I mean,really,where's the pride????

As for the age issues, I think companies are concerned about being able to count on an older employee being able to do the work,lift,stand,bend etc. Or, will the employee have a lot of medical issues to deal with,doctors' appointments? They are valid concerns, but I found young people had more excuses not to come to work than their elders.
Then there are those people who don't get sick,or if they do,they still show up for work..those people who were raised with a sense of responsibility and pride in their work. Hard to put that on a resume...

You know how when you're young you're penalized for not having enough experience??? Seems like the reverse is true for the older worker. Things will work out in their own fashion. I have patience issues. Laughing
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Maxecat I don't think there is any pride in a lot of them. Perhaps the ceo should do an undercover boss inspection.

Now for the reason I came to this thread. I don't usually like to outright complain about all my aches, pains, and medical issues but seriously is they are getting to be to much to deal with. As I posted in the Medication thread I had a ct scan done to see what was causing my arms no to work, tons of pain in the neck and shoulder areas and weird headaches. Well seems that when they do these tests they are extra thourough, I now have to see a doctor about problem lymphnodes and a sinus problem it picked up as well as an orthopedist to see about disk dislocation. I generally accept these things as bad luck in the genetics department and the natural course of aging. To my knowledge I have no bad karma build up, so I just don't get it. The arm problem is the worst of the newest and if you don't see a post me from it's because I wasn't able to use one or both of them. As always if there is an emergency Karentia can get in touch with me the quickest, althout Skyfire can reach me too if you contact her. Pity party over, will check in as I am able just didn't want to post this any where else.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  muggleborn Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Sorry, Weesa. I hope the docs can get you fixed up and back to "normal" again.
muggleborn
muggleborn
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi All,

I know the older worker problem. My husband has a very hard time finding work. Legally they can't ask your age, but it is the easiest thing to find out on The Internet, public records I guess.

Gee Weesa, I am so sorry that you are having problems. Have you gone to a Chiropractor?
I imagine they have checked your potassium. I have some troubles with that.

I am wishing you the best. Hugs.
Magical Music Dreamer
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Weesa I was going to reccomend a chiro too - or if you have a kineseologist in your area - they are usually working as a chiro as well. I love my kineseologist - he found & diagnosed my gall bladder issues, as well as putting me back together when I wobble & go down. He may be able to help with some of the other issues. Healing thoughts!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Again,

I was just talking to my husband Weesa, and he mentioned Voice Entry for computer input.

There is a product called Dragon Naturally Speaking and he thinks Windows has the feature built in.
Magical Music Dreamer
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:30 pm

I think Eagle Skyfire might use the Dragon program. In the past she's mentioned to me she has trouble typing.

Weesa,I'm so sorry to hear about the domino effect you seem to be having with pain. Has a Fibromyalgia flare been ruled out...you're the right age and with the RA already have autoimmune issues.

When I was first dealing with FM I would lose the use of one arm.It would just hang there,hurting like the dickens...there's only an occasional problem now and then but it's difficult to explain to someone.
The tests you took showed no pinched nerves in your neck?
Very frustrating for you and your doctors.I hope you find some answers soon so you can start treatment.

Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:13 am

Weesa, I'm so sorry to read about all your health troubles. I wish the solution for you is there soon.
Lady
Lady
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Went to the ENT doctor and she informed me that the sinus problems are two (one large, one small) polyps in my sinus cavities as well as an infection, allergy damage and a deviated septum. Solutions: nasal spray, antibiotic, return in two weeks to discuss surgery possibilty for septum.
Mammo re-do was only for left side as they found something in the image. Did more views, the doctor looked them over right then and said it's where the tissue is changing due to age come back in six months to monitor it. Annual gyno exam was thankfully totally routine and drama free. Will see the ortho next week. I don't know what a kineseologist is (will Google it) so have no idea what they could do. I don't know if a chiro would be covered or not will have to see what the ortho says and go from there. There hasn't been mention yet of pinched nerves but that maybe in the doctor speak of the report I have to carry with me to the ortho in addition to the cd of my ct scans. I don't think I have ever been tested for Fibromyalgia, she did say there is arthritic activity in the neck area, so I guess that means the psoriatic arthritis has spread again.
I know of Dragon, it is what Skyfire uses she recommended it to me as a way to help Mom use the computer since she doesn't like the mouse. Will definitely look into purchasing the program, windows has a basic program but I would prefer the Dragon with all of it's features if/when it becomes necessary. Thanks for all of the positive thougths I really appreciate it, on a positive note I have managed to lose six pounds the past three weeks.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Bye Bye unwanted pounds!!! Good to hear,Weesa. Your tests seem to be running pretty positive..I think in perimenopause there's a lot of "come back in a few months and we'll look again".
As for Fibro,there's no test,only an elimination of the other automimmune disorders like RA and Lupus. There's so much overlapping of inconsistant symptoms the syndrome really looks like other conditions,so it takes time to diagnose.
And because it manifests in so many ways,there're lots of ways to treat the symptoms.

Wish you the best of luck in finding an enlightened doctor...it's the key to finding relief.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  muggleborn Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Weesa, glad you are getting everything looked at and followed up on. May I suggest you copy the ct cd's for your own records? Sometimes it's good to have on hand.
muggleborn
muggleborn
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 am

Well, sounds like some news is better than no news.

A kineseologist works with the energy of the body to find out what is going wrong, you might be harboring a virus in an organ and need a supplement for a few weeks (something I did go through); you might have a repeat issue with your neck, and he should be able to diagnose by checking different body reactions what is wrong inside - such as touching your wrist is a certain grasp, you having your arm out straight, and if he can push it down easily, there is something blocking the energy, so there is something wrong. I know, that is a lot of somethings.

It almost feels like a 3 stooges routine, and you will be asked to hold your finger in this spot you your whatever, tongue to the roof of your mouth, blah blah blah while he asks your body what is going on. Then he may brush the sides of your head quickly, and try again, or touch spots & press for 3 seconds & try again. Once you hold your arm out & he can't push until a count of say 10, then that is 'fixed' back the way it should be.

They often work with the Chinese Meridian guides for what is going on in your system. He totally got that my gall bladder was going bad because of all the locations I was cramping up were on the gb meridian! So he started me changing my diet, reducing choices, until I could get seen & get it removed.

But I also have not been back to him in about a year. Naughty me. Once I get more settled I'll get back over there.

The other thing is I really can't stand the bone crunching way of most chiros - and after seeing Dr. Bentz, my joints start popping into place on their own, over the next few hours - a good stretch is amazing sounding! Again, don't know if there are any in your area, but cool if there is!

Good luck with all the tests - sending healing thoughts!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:17 pm

I don't think my insurance would cover that service but who knows. I go to the ortho Monday so hopefully he will have more positive than negative news.

Last edited by Weesa on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next