Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eReaders ...

+3
I-Pie
Admin
ladyhawke
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

eReaders ... Empty eReaders ...

Post  ladyhawke Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Do you have one? Do you want one? Do you think eReaders are a ridiculous idea and will never catch on because the smells of paper and ink are part of the reading experience?
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

eReaders ... Empty Re: eReaders ...

Post  Admin Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Personally I don't want one, I love my books and can't see giving them up for a cold machine. I guess it's a family addiction several us are book collectors, real honest to goodness books with pages to turn just sitting there waiting to take you on a trip to wherever. I can see how some people would prefer the ereaders and it does seem like a great thing for those who read more than one book at a time( a feat I can't fathom), so I guess I'd say there's room for both.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

eReaders ... Empty Prefer books

Post  I-Pie Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I prefer books too. Years ago I read an essay by Maurice Sendak about the joy of reading a new book. The feel and smell of the book, being the first person to open it. That is a experience I love to have. I admit I dislike reading used books that look and feel dirty.

Most of the people I know who love e-readers are travelers. It is easier to take several books with you on one e-reader than fit the physical book in your luggage. Of course, the development in e-readers is to make them like tablets so you can connect to the Internet and watch movies or play music.

Also, some of the problems with e-readers have been eliminated. Amazon and company keep copies of your purchases so if you lose or break the reader, you can access and reload your library. Some will allow you to share a book with another e-reader for a limited time.

Some schools are trying to require students buy one and purchase e-textbooks. Most e-books are cheaper than the hard copy. It makes it easier for faculty to change books, but students do like there is no resale or the option of finding a better price.
I-Pie
I-Pie
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:07 pm

I received my Kindle as a birthday gift. It is great for travel and I love that I can keep books tucked away in cyberspace but,frankly,I love books for the reasons you all have mentioned.
I'm not comfortable when I read about schools doing away with books in preference of the e-readers.I think it a big mistake. People learn in so many different ways. I retain more information if I'm actually holding the book,not so much if I'm reading from a screen. Even learning from my computer is less successful than reading a book.
It's great to have on a beach,wind doesn't matter and no sand.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Ok I think I may have finally found a few reasons to get one of the ereaders.
1. I like to keep my collections the same cover wise but would like to be able to
some new releases and hate that I have to wait for the paperback versions.
2. The lady at the store had the point of I can read the ebook and then buy
the physical book later if it's something I want to add to my collection.
3.There are several free books available that I would love to read again, but
really haven't got the room to collect right now, nor the funds for that many
books at once.
4. And maybe the most interesting is that my library will be soon offering the
ability to "check out" books on it.

So I've been thinking perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a Nook Simple Touch. Still waffling
but if I do get any of them that's the one it will be.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Not sure where the Nook ebooks come from but Kindle owners have discovered the price on ebooks is almost the same now as the hard cover,so the original idea of saving money as well as paper and space is no longer in play.
I got a catalog of discounted books today and I can't pass up the savings no matter how much I promise to control my book habit.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:35 pm

The Nook comes from Barnes and Noble. It's one of my fave stores. If I have to go shopping I would rather it be there than anywhere else. I could live in a book store or library and be perfectly happy. I think the reading before buying would probably only come into it for me if the library doesn't offer it on their list once it's up and running. Plus they have free wi-fi at the stores with the bonus for Nook owners that you can read anybook in the nook catalog free for an hour everyday. See if you like it, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. You can also side load books from Google books. I did a lot of research one day trying to find something that may allow my Grandma to read somehow (other than her audiobooks) she has macular degeneration and doesn't see well enough to read her books anymore.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:18 am

Very familiar with B&N but was unsure how they downloaded books to their Nook.My son likes using his for work related journals but I find it difficult to use for too long.
They are very convienent while waiting at doctors' offices.
I like finding the 99 cent bargains.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:39 pm

They download through wi-fi which you can turn off when you don't need it or you can side load as they call it(hook up to the pc). The simple touch I looked at in the store was easy on the eyes more of a book like quality to the background, which is great because the others have the background like a computer which after a time bothers my eyes. And yes going to the doctor as much as I do it would be easier than hefting some of the books I read. 99 cent bargains are the best whether physical or ebook. Very Happy

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

eReaders ... Empty eReaders…

Post  Ezzy Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:26 am

Hello again:
People say I am a techno freak. I find this hard to believe. I think I am more of a user. I have an Ipad and a Kindle. I use my Kindle for reading books. I use my I pad for magazines and everything else. I love my Kindle I chose it over other e-readers because amazon has the biggest selection of books. Once you purchase an e-reader you are lock in to their platform which means you cannot purchase books from others.
What I like about my e-reader
1. I moved and I could not transport my book collections.
2. If I am stuck in a long line I can read any e-book.
3. I carry most of my e-books in my purse. I could not carry these books in physical form.
4. I can purchase a book in 60 seconds. (this may be good or bad)
5. I do not have to leave the house to get a new book. (let it snow. let it snow)
6. I can pre-order a book and it is delivered to me on the date that it's publish. (no more long lines on release date)
7. I can look up definitions while reading.
8. No one knows what I am reading. (Back in the day I was at the mall reading harry potter (this was when I lived in the south) someone stop to let me know I was going to hell for reading that book) javascript:emoticonp('Shocked')

I love my e-reader so much I even subscribe to podcast (The Kindle Chronicles) javascript:emoticonp('Very Happy')
Ezzy
Ezzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:38 am

Good morning,Ezzy...or maybe it's night in Oz...is it Saturday already?

It's great seeing you again. I'm glad you enjoy your tech toys. I've had a Kindle for a couple of years now,a treat from my husband on my birthday but I still find myself buying books. I like holding them,sometimes skimming through well loved ones to find a favorite chapter..I find that hard to do with the Kindle,but it is fun finding bargains on old books. The prices for the new releases seem pretty high for no paper product.

Hope you've been having a great time in Australia.
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

eReaders ... Empty Re: e-readers…

Post  Ezzy Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello everyone:
How are you today Maxecat. I am doing fine in Australia time now is 4:02 am. javascript:emoticonp('Sleep') I could not sleep. It’s great to see you too. Facebook is not the place for me. I feel as if I cannot speak my mind. Employers look at it. Families look at it.

I love my tech toys. Someone asked me the other day how long did it take me to save for them. I told him 27 years. javascript:emoticonp('What a Face') He looked at me strange. I then explain to him that I had to wait till my son was gone to indulge my tech obsession. I will add a Fire and Kindle touch to my collection eventually. The Fire will be added as soon as they have a 3G model. The Kindle touch will be added the minute Amazon ships overseas.

My e-reader situation is different than most:
1. I like my e-reader because I am overseas and would like my books in (US) English instead of Australian.
2. I like US covers. Depending on the writer the covers may be different.
3. I love US prices. I have seen books price for close to 100 Australian dollars here.
4. Publication dates are different. I never know when a book will be published in Australia and if it is I never know when it will be available.
5. I like to use a bigger font.

Adding the fire:
1. I love US magazines. I brought my Ipad just to read my mag’s. I waited for the Ipad 2 before my purchase and now I am addicted to the Smurf. I will purchase the Fire because Amazon has a better selection of Magazines.
2. I will be able to get more picture books. ex Martha's books. I love Martha.

Finally I will add the Kindle touch because of the touch feature.
Prices for e-books are high but Australian prices are worst. I am of 2 minds about this.
Hope you enjoy your e-reader on a cold day.
E
Ezzy
Ezzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Bought my Nook Simple Touch today haven't been home long enough for it to charge so will have to let you know later how I like it. Also went ahead and bought a cover for it, nothing fancy just a leather type cover to keep it protected from scratches etc while in my bag.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

eReaders ... Empty Re: e-readers…

Post  Ezzy Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:06 pm

I made a mistake Embarassed when it comes to the price of some books in Australia. I did see expensive books, but today while I was shopping in Target I saw the new bio on Steve Jobs it was 20.00 Australian dollars. I guess bestsellers are price different.
Ezzy
Ezzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Well I have successfully managed to get my Google books from the computer to the Nook. Now to read them. Very easy to use so far, no problems so far. cheers

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:55 pm

I have a Kindle since the very beginning, and it wasn't my first eReader. I had an RCA eBook, which was about the size of a hardback, weighed a lot more, and was backlit. And iT WAS AWESOME. Unfortunately, they didn't sell as well as predicted and the company stopped supporting the format and I lost access to my library and was not able to purchase any new books.

Sigh.

Then comes the Amazon Kindle (now referred to as a Kindle1).

After thinking a lot about the failure of the RCA eBook, I decided, what the heck ... it's newer technology, they're taking a different approach with it, and, besides ... it's COOL.

And so it was. I loved it. I was reading books left and right, not that that was a big difference over what I would do anyway, I wasn't then stacking them in the huge pile against my wall anymore.

Well, then amazon comes out with the Kindle2. With active content. (That means you could play some simple game on it). I resisted. After all, I'm here just to read books, and I'm doing that awesomely.

Then they come out with the KindleDX, which was a bigger version that could display a full page PDF file without converting it to Kindle format.

Oh, yeah. That's even cooler, but I don't need that. I'm happily reading here.

Then the Kindle DXg (large screen, graphite color) comes out at a drop in the price point, and an improvement in the screen contrast.

Oh, okay. I have been interested in that active content thing ... I hear I can do crossword puzzles on it. I'm sold. Send me one.

So they do.

And three stinking days later ... the Kindle3 is announced. Smaller, lighter, the improved screen technology, and active content. And the Wifi version pricepoint drops so far, who can say no? Certainly not me.

So, now I'm a three kindle family, except that I'm not a family, I'm an individual.

I still read on all three of the Kindles. Each one has different elements that make them good. The really big one, the DXg, I leave in the bedroom. The K3 is the one I usually carry around with more for basic reading, and the K1, well, okay, that's the one that I have as a backup in case I run the battery down on the others.

Oh, and I have a Kindle Fire, now, too. Yeah. that makes four. It's the amazon tablet. It's nice. It's good for reading and it's good for playing on, too.
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Laughing Oh my. You're a walking ad for the Kindle family,ladyhawke. I was given the second edition of Kindle and like the convenience of carrying a nice selection of books around, but I still love flipping back and forth with books I know well...or finding a clarification in a book that's new. I don't jump on new technology because I'd find myself in the same situation as yourself..too many toys! Heck,I still have a cell phone that only makes calls,no photos,no smarts at all.I think I use it once or twice a month.

oh,yeah, to download ebooks I have to walk up to the top of our property and enter my choice there. The ethernet or whispernet,or whatever it's called can't function inside our house. Needless to say I don't buy a lot of ebooks in the dead of winter.

I think my son finally got one when he discovered a model that can display quality photos from his medical journals. He choose a Kindle rather than going for an Apple pad...not even sure what number they're on..

Weesa, how's your Nook working out?
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:09 pm

If you have connection problems at home, you can always download the Kindle file to your computer and then transfer it to the Kindle with the USB cord. It seems complex the first time you do it, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. You pretty much just drag the file across into the Kindle device documents folder. I've heard that Amazon has come up with an autoloader, but I haven't tried to use it myself, I'm fine with the nuts and bolts approach.
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  EAGLESKYFIRE Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

I myself am a Nook fan. I have a Nook tablet & I love it. It is very user friendly & versatile. I personally believe that the tech you pick should be what you are comfortable with & meets your needs.
EAGLESKYFIRE
EAGLESKYFIRE
Admin
Admin

http://www.eagleskyfire.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Love my Nook thanks. I've taken it with me to the dr's office several times and find that it's pretty easy to carry around the house or even sit in bed and read. The only thing that would make it better for me is for them to lower the price of ebooks. Honestly how can it possible for them to charge the same for a book as they do the ebook? Suspect

Oh thought of another benefit. With all the free books out there I've been able to re-read several favorites and have refreshed my memory of quite a few Jane Austen works. Will be moving on to Vanity Fair next I believe.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 am

I was annoyed to find out I had actually paid more for an e book the other day than its paper counterpart. I ordered it electronically so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping.Didn't think to check on prices. Think I'll be more cautious in the future.

Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  EAGLESKYFIRE Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 pm

I agree. The fact that the charge the same for E books vs. a printed one is just due to greed. I also learned to shop around first and compare. It's a rotten lesson but we've all gone through it. I have to admit though I really love all the free books are available. It's like having the biggest library in the world at your fingertips. Very Happy
EAGLESKYFIRE
EAGLESKYFIRE
Admin
Admin

http://www.eagleskyfire.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 pm

You're right. It's hard to turn down free or 99cent books! study
Maxecat
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Very hard indeed to turn down a free book. I haven't had to overpay for an ebook yet but I have that little Google addiction that helps me search for lower prices. study

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyhawke Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:32 am

Always remember to check with your local library to see if they have Overdrive or another ebook (and audiobook) lending system. I've used my library system to get several Kindle books since they activated the service last year. You can also do this with Nooks, Kobos, and Sonys.
ladyhawke
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum