Harry Potter Series

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Harry Potter Series

Post  Weesa on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 am

As many of us met because of our mutual love of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter, it only seems fitting that the series have it's own thread. Please keep in mind though that this thread is for the books not the movies (they'll have their own thread in the movie area). So to begin I'll keep it simple with a popular quote: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak. ~ Prof. Dumbledore
Weesa
Admin
Admin

http://weesa-asiseeit.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Harry Potter Series

Post  ladyhawke on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:16 pm

I am working my way through them yet again ... this time in German.

I have them all but die Heiligtümer des Todes. Shipping to the US costs nearly as much, if not more than the books. I have to wait until there are at least two other books I want to buy before I can order them.

I'm kind of hoping that when J.K. gets pottermore really up and going that I'm going to be able to get the Kindle Versions in German as well as English.
ladyhawke

Back to top Go down

Post  missypotter on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I was wondering how close the German translation is to the English? I have wondered about that in all the different translations. I can't imagine some of the quirky words and meanings translate well.

I am finishing up The Deathly Hallows, again. I am ashamed to admit how many times I have read or listened to that book. I really do love it the most. Embarassed
missypotter
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:10 pm

I'll read the entire series at least once a year but I have 4 favorites..Sorcerer's Stone,Goblet of Fire,Order of Phoenix and Deathly Hallows. SS made me smile throughout and the tears started with GOF.

I love JKR's whimsical use of English and wonder how that does translate into other languages.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Weesa on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Got into the Pottermore website today, and have to say that in my opinion it was well worth the wait. There are things that could be added to enhance the experience, but the added information I've found so far is terrific.
Was very surprised to be sorted into Hufflepuff (bonus I get to go to a common room not seen in the book), every test I've taken has sorted me into Gryffindor with the exception of one that put me in Ravenclaw. So yeah Hufflepuff kinda threw me off a bit. confused
Weesa
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:10 pm

so far I've seen most people sorted into Hufflepuff! Must be a lot of nice,decent people in the mix.

I figured in the real Hogwarts,I probably would have been a Hufflepuff since I'm not clever or sneaky enough to be sorted into Ravenclaw or Slytherin. I've always been put into Gryffindor before. We'll see.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Weesa on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 pm

As I said always Gryffindor with the one exception. I really like the way the sorting is done, there is no way to know which questions will trigger the house you want. I personally don't mind being in Hufflepuff, though I have seen people complain and say that come October they'll delete their current account, start a new one and repeat as necessary until they are in the house of their liking. I look at it this way I've had years of time in Gryffindor already following along with Harry, so it's nice to have a change of scenery.
From what I can remember of the numbers Hufflepuff has the most members then Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, Slytherin. Although I believe Ravenclaw is leading in Housepoints.
Weesa
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Crookshanks on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Hello, and thanks Maxecat for pointing me here. All 7 books are my favourites!

Crookshanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:44 pm

I treated myself to a reread of DH last week. I've decided the dreary,unending middle part of the journey is exactly the way it should have been..frustrating and anxiety inducing for all.I do think a little peek at the future Dudley would have been fun.

I was stunned to find myself a Slytherin..I think it must have been my fear of heights in the questioning that sent me straight to the sub water level of the Slytherin common room and dormitories.To make things worse for the head of my house,I absolutely suck canal water when it comes to making potions.

Outside of tackling the spells and potions I've done all I can do at Pottermore.

The graphics are amazing but I have a short attention span and can't sit around for an hour waiting to fail at imaginary tasks.. I can do that in real life!

I see they're shut down for some more tweaking. I think that's good if they're going to open it to the rest of the world. I'm blown away by the scores of the earliest members...I believe they must be young and used to playing games on computers. alas, I pass on both.

Glad you found us Crookshanks. I hope you look around and find some things to contribute to the other areas.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Don't think I have ever read a series I love as much as I do these. a favorite, have to say Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows, just wish Deathly Hallows had ended differently, still think the epilogue is sorta added on without as much thought as the rest of the series! Still you gotta love the skill it took to create something with a story line that attracted so many and appealed to such a wide age range. Gotta love them!
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:44 pm

I think the series touched us in core areas not expected by either the author or publishers. People don't read and reread books just because they were once popular with children.

As for the epilogue I think it could have been done differently but there had to be a follow up. I don't think JKR really wanted to do it but I've tried ending the series with Harry wondering if Kreacher would make him a sandwich and it doesn't work emotionally. We have to know how the lives of these people returned to normal...and what about the muggle world??? what happened to poor Dudley. Could Harry approach Aunt Petunia now and let her know he understood her frustration with him?
Of course I would have loved a novela recounting how Arthur and Kingsley worked with others to restore order to the Ministry. I needed to see the public humilation of Dolores Umbridge and  praise for Severus Snape and Sirius Black.It would take at least a novel to tie everything up and as Jo put it,still no one would be satisfied.
Thank heavens for the creative fans who put their own stories together
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:18 pm

To the translation. I have original version and of course Czech translation of HP books. I`ve bought first english book when I was waiting for Order of the Phoenix in English to be released. I bought Prisoner of Azkaban as it was my favourite book and soon I had all of them. Since this time I always bought the English version and than after some months Czech one. The translation of OoP was quite long so I was very happy my English was good enough to read the book in original language. And after that I realized one think. Our translation is good (although includes some mistakes) and it is nice to see how translator created new words in our language to translate Quiditch and other words. But the feeling isn`t the same. From the book OoP in English I had strange feeling about Harry - he was angry, behaving odd, not trusting, etc.. And from translated book I didn`t get that feeling so much. And it was the same with the rest Half blood prince and Deathly Hallows. Don`t know if it is because I read first the original because with the first four I don`t have that problem and after re-reading all books for many times the differences were wiped but still I like the original books more. The problem is with some jokes. For example, you can`t translate: May I see Uranus too Levander? And understand why that could upset the teacher. It took me long time to solve this and than I laughed very hard. Can`t even imagine such adult joke in that kind of book.
Lady
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:28 pm

I can see how some jokes wouldn't translate very well,but English is easy to manipulate into funny ideas.
As for Harry seeming so angry in OoP,he was and should have been in all translations.He was teenage boy who had one terror after another thrust upon him and he had spent the summer alone again with the Dursleys with little communication with friends.His mentor Dumbledore wouldn't look at him,there seemed to be secrets all around him,he was abused by the press and was in love.. Hermione thought Cho was falling apart because so much emotion was swirling in her life and Harry had twice the problems she had..at least her life wasn't in danger all the time.
And Umbridge!!! wow! That woman brought up memories of nasty nuns who had taught me in school. At least they didn't have magical pens that scarred your hands when writing lines.
Because Harry had normal faults in this book,it was one of my favorites,until Sirius died. That broke my heart.I was very angry with Dumbledore in this book.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Ooooo, yes, I think OOTP is my favorite. But they each have such a wonderful part of Harry's life, and how his friendships form, his life complicates, and all the angst grows as he gets closer to Voldy as a horcrux, and we learn of them! I know I picked that one out, but I love them all.
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Yes, the series was wonderful in developing at the same rate as the kids involved,from the wide eyed innocence of SS to the grim acceptance of DH. I never tire of rereading the books.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  missypotter on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:44 pm

I was just thinking I would like to read one over the holidays and all this talk just confuses me. I love them all and don't know what I am in the mood for. Wink

Maybe Order of the Phoenix...
missypotter
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm

missypotter... there's only one solution... read 'em all again! I'm kinda thinking about doing that myself...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Weesa on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:52 pm

For those who are interested Pottermore's shop is open now. They are offering the series in audiobook and ebook form. You can find it here.
Weesa
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  missypotter on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 pm

I know this is picky, but after reading the books so many times I just notice a few things. I was reading GOF and noticed when Wormtail kills Cedric Diggory, Harry has his hands over his eyes and hears the killing curse, but doesn't actually see the killing.

In OotP Harry is now able to see the Thestrals because he has seen someone die. Two points, he doesn't actually see Cedric die. The second thing is Harry saw his mother killed so technically he should have always seen the Thestrals.

I might be missing something, but it is just a little inconsistency. Did anyone else notice this?
missypotter
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Weesa on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:57 am

JKR explained this in an intervies once. Apparently since he was so young when his parents dies it didn't have the same kind of effect as witnessing (even though only hearing then seeing the Cedric's body) Cedrics death. She also says (not a direct quote just a summary of interview question) it takes time to process the emotions so that's why he couldn't see them at the end of GoF but did in OoTP.
I think I explained that right. Suspect
Weesa
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 am

Yes, I think that's how she explained it,but,personally,I though she was trying to get herself out of a corner.

I had wondered about Cedric and the Thestrals myself.Also wonder who Hagrid saw die.His dad,maybe?
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Weesa on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Makes you wish she would write more about other characters even we don't see a lot of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Would love to see more of the Wizarding World.
Weesa
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Oh yes, one of the reasons I love OoP is because Dumbledore's Army was made up of all the Houses and we got to hear from some of the other students.

I think most of us will admit we wanted more and would read everything she put out in regards to the Wizarding World.
Prequels...afterwards...bring it on! thumbs up
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Weesa on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Not obsessed at all are we Suspect Yeah I always enjoy reading about the other houses. It's one of the reasons I was excited for Pottermore to get started. Hopefully it's more fun once they open it completely next month. Oh for those who don't know they have started putting sounds on it and you can go back through the chapters and listen. Some are pretty cool.
Weesa
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:30 am

The last time I went to check, the site was down for maintenance. I wish I knew how many hidden objects are supposed to be in every chapter screen.
I thought there'd be more interaction but there isn't a spot for personal introductions. I have to keep a list handy to remind me of the new names my friends are going by and it's tiring.Not sure why,if it's the connection or computer (or me) but I can not get the hang of spell casting and I don't have the time to sit around for an hour waiting for potion results
I do like reading the back stories on the professors (who knew Minverva had a tragic love life?) but it only serves to make me wish for more novels.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum