Hog's Head

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hog's Head

Post  Always on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 am

Cabin on the Reindalsseter, Tafjord Mountains, Norway. Photo by Berit Hessen.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll have a cold butterbeer, a bit of bacon, and some toast with jam, please.

Maxe... scratch

Here's to a healthy, healing, positive developments kind of day...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Good neighbor,Karentia. Poor guy...he was in a bad way. Nice he did have two good neighbors willing to do the right thing.

We might have blackberries...but I can neither see, nor reach the bushes. Yard guy will need a bush hog to mow the overgrowth in order to expose the bank of wild bushes. He's a nice guy but will never get to that edge of the property early enough.

Good luck with your berry hunting.

Since we've had the AC fixed my swelling is almost gone. Seems to be a humidity issue with me..a human water balloon.

Larry's still clueless as to why this move, in play for a month was detailed because someone with a few months with the company is now divorced and needs a new start in life. Say what?
That's how it was explained initially to Larry.

Makes no sense. All I can say is Larry was promised 16 months ago he was first in line for a promotion by the corporate evaluation committee and yet in that period there are now 4 positions filled by people outside the company. This mean they are totally unfamiliar with the DG process. That was the reason he was not hired originally as a DM, even though he had been one for 7 Eleven, managing twice as many stores.

Yet, repeatedly, new hires have been from companies like Staples and that sort.
Oh and yes, all considerably younger. Less experienced. Younger.
But, he's not going to play the age card until he's ready to be fired. It may be blindingly obvious but, usually, a losing cause.

If he continues to do as requested no one can fault him for being unsupportive of his superior. Just not sure what this guy wants.

It's not a company thing, but confined to our region,which is this half of the state. The new guy is under the microscope, himself,and yet doesn't seem to understand he's alienating long time employees who can make him look good.

Leadership skills vary so wildly between individuals. We've all had experiences with difficult people, haven't we?

Do you all remember Elishka, from HPANA? She's preparing graphics and proposals for a company where she gets opposing and contradictory directives regularly. Very discouraging. If she were a drinking lady, I think she'd be in trouble! Daily drama...who needs it?

Difficult bosses, co workers, clients....no wonder writers and artists hide in their lairs, trying to create their own world. Very Happy

I'm very lazy...Dog days have started early. For some reason I either can't fall asleep or I wake after a couple of hours. Groan. Makes the following day a wash out.

Certainly wouldn't mind sticking my feet in that Norwegian stream. Bet that'd wake me up! That looks like a great place for a ramble. I wonder what the night skies look like ? Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven

Better drag my butt into some activity. Love to all.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Hmm, can't tell if I'm coming down with something, or if I just snored hard.  Hoping it was the snoring hard.

Butter beer, frozen for me, and watermelon, with a side of nuts.  Light, and refreshing.

Maxie, that is just, so, arrrrgghhh!  Obvious disrcimination.  And yes, I agree, you can't play that card until you are on your way out.  Let the puppy chew on his safety lines, he will cut his own throat, so to speak, if he continues to act like that.    As for Elishka, I stopped following her a while ago.  I couldn't take her turning on good friends the way she was.  And yes, her constant drama was draining me.  She cut herself out of my friends list, by her actions.  Too bad, that she decided to burn so many bridges, especially of so many that supported her for a long time.

Hope everyone has an excellent day.
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Did I miss something? I don't remember Elishka turning on friends and burning bridges. I unfollowed some of her friends who become so belligerently political it was hard to offer a comment without receiving a snarling attack or condescension.

It's always hard to balance drama with reaching out for support.

Anyway, I offered her as an example of how we can find ourselves trapped not understanding what superiors expect from us, though your office seems stable,if occasionally very hectic.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Mostly over the political arena, she just seemed to lose her mind.  The way she viciously attacked verbally, one of our friends on FB, I had enough.  I was cutting back on my more dramatic friends anyway, and I found after that my feed was much more calm.  There will still be folks I don't agree with out there, and until the political field changes, I just won't be in contact with them.  It just seems to bring out the worst in some folks.  And I mostly see 'drama drama drama, look at me and my opinions, you must think the way I think or you don't have a brain.".  And that came from both sides.  I love her, but right now I don't like her.
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 pm

I understand. I don't have much to say to people who attack or ridicule me on my own FB timeline. Seems awfully aggressive and as you say...who needs that?

Too many fun things to share. Currently, I love the iPanda site. Not quite as precious as puppies and kitties...but round bottomed Pandas playing in baskets are pretty darn cute.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecate3fold on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:16 am

Good evening all,

I agree with what Karentia said about letting Larry's superior hang himself, especially if he is being watched also.  Sending Larry lots of extra energy to keep him positive and up beat until all of this gets sorted out and he is in the right place where he belongs.  Give him a hug from me. Glad your feet are coming back down to size.

After reading what was said about all of the negative attitudes on all of the other places where people go to chat, it makes me very glad that this is the only place where I come to talk.  I have such great wonderful friends here, I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

Karentia, hope your neighbor is recovering well.  About how old is he?

Oh Maxecat, save some room next to you by that water for my feet too.  With Norway being so far north the first thing you would probably see in the night sky would be the northern lights, especially if nighttime lasts for three months or longer.

taken from space.........

Blessings for another weekend close at hand!  Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 am

He is recovering, at home.  I think he had a small stroke, not the kind that effects the body as much as the mind.  With the hallucinating, and the paranoia, it fits how mom acted after small TIA strokes - she thought we were behind the Russian Front.  Was weird, but went along with her.  So Richard is coming around.  He has had at least one bottle of the Ensure ( Chocolate on the lips), and it was a high protein mix.  Not as high as the drink I buy.  I went to check on him before I went to do laundry, he came to the door, because Jay, the owner of the building, came by to see him.  Jay is being very nice, understanding about it all.  Richard owes rent, pays on a different schedule, and due to the paranoia had cancelled his payment to Jay, without calling him.  It is all worked out between them.  I will check in after work tomorrow.

Saturday I head to Seattle, the last belly dance festival in Hiawatha Park.  30 years of the festival, done.  The ladies don't want to sell the name, tried to have someone else run it, just not enough vendors to cover the costs anymore, with people buying over the internet, the vendors from out of state can't afford it.  The vendor space rentals, and workshop fees, those paid for the use of the park and Rec Center.  Not sure of I will go to Sunday as well, might just do an early morning at the pool and come home to sew and such.  Also depends on how much I spend on Saturday.  Coins, will be looking for costume coins.
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:42 am

Remote seaview holiday cottage, Dinas Mountain, Pembrokeshire, Wales. Photo by Welsh Cottages.

Good morning. Dobby, iced coffee with a blueberry muffin, please.

Here's to a healthy, healing, gracious day for all...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 am

Would love to see the Northern lights...at least like those. Saw a pale version as a child. Extremely rare in New York state.

Very nice news about your neighbor, Karentia. My grandfather had a series of TIAs before he passed. We take mental health for granted until a blip or two changes everything.

What a shame a tradition is ending for your belly dance ladies. Everything changes after awhile. Crying or Very sad  Maybe they'll reappear again, especially if they retain their name...and the community misses the fun.

Hecate, Larry's pretty steady in all sorts of storms. He rapidly processed his stages of disappointment and is left with only curiosity.

Why is someone who's been the company three months, with no store experience and who wants to live near Louisville ( 90+ miles away) be better suited than someone who's a top store manager for over five years and lives in the area? Curious.
Larry's said nothing, but his immediate boss is fuming. Some of the regional director 's decisions aren't making sense and he's following a director who was a disaster for years. Not easy to turn things around.

Dollar General is notorious in the industry for being poorly run...easy to see it in action.

And then, my brother worked for the city of San Francisco and he  found some of the department heads  totally incompetent,so it's not only retail.

Best to retire! If you can Laughing

Not much going on. Soaking plants. Some of my lilies seem sick. Browning leaves and buds. Looking for answers but nothing seems to fit.  Smell great,still.  Laughing  My fingers smell like cilantro after pinching some flowering stems. Need to plant geraniums with a the chocolate scented leaves.

Watching my recorded Lost Horizon . Even in B&W it's a beautiful film....and Ronald Colman's voice. Dreamy.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  samtibbs123 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Afternoon all

Maxie that is the pits about Larry's job, you gotta love idiots that think they know how to run a company, but like you said Larry seems to roll with the punches, hope it all works out for you both , hugs dear!

Karentia too bad about your dancing friends maybe they will reopen else where, or at least have good sales on costume supplies, good to hear your neighbor is doing better, nice you were there to help hugs dear!

Hecate yep that was the bubble but my tablet won't let me capture it, thanks for posting it for me, love the Picts of the northern lights, only saw them once here mostly reds though, and nowhere as bright as up close is supposed to be, thanks have a great week, hugs dear!

Always thanks for the cottages today I would love to be in a remote one far from anyone or anything, ahhh peace! Hugs dear!

Well they say bad luck runs in 3's so hopefully I will have some good luck soon, my car is still on the fritz and the dishwasher and now the freezer both bit the dust, so that my 3 I'm ready for the good any time now!

Dobby I think I would love a huge ice cream sundae you know what I like, extra nuts and cherries please,thank yo dear!

Hello to Every one else, hugs to one and all!

Have a great day all!
samtibbs123
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Oh, those dreadful 3 ' s. ......it's never inexpensive, trivial 3's, is it?
For us, it was 2 parts of the air conditioner and the dehumidifier. ..
Good luck, samtibbs. ....hopefully you can find deals at a home store?

Dearie me....we have these short, but intense, showers that not only don't cool, but allow steam to rise from the driveway.

I imagine most kids and their parents aren't too disappointed school begins in 3 weeks or so. Hasn't been the nicest Summer for outside play.

To the Whovians. ..are you happy for the reveal planned this Sunday ? I'd rather see it at the Christmas special, but spoilers will be difficult to avoid.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecate3fold on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:01 pm

Good evening all,

Maxecat, I have never heard of geraniums with chocolate scented leaves.....they really exist? Oh my, must be some kind of high bread of some sort. Wonder if you could make tea from the dried leaves? What is going to be happening with Dr. Who????

Another curious cottage, I'm guessing that the stone part was there first and then the white part was added on and finally the wooden section as a modern addition. Wonder what the room is used for? Sun room? exercise? new living room? We will never know for sure.

Good to know that you neighbor is recovering Karentia. Wish there was a way of preserving the belly dance festivals, another craft and activity/dance being lost. But I don't think is will be lost forever, just maybe to your area of the country. Wonder if there are any belly dance schools around here? Hmm sounds interesting, but not like I could attend.

Thought it was time for a fairy or two to make an appearance ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Samtibbs, now I want one too...............................

Blessings for a weekend filled with all types of fairy fun and frolic! Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:16 pm

Well,Hecate, it's sort of a misnomer. There's a variety referred to as chocolate mint,but it's more because of some brown coloration in the leaves. Alas, really not chocolaty. ..I'm sorry to say but I think the leaves are more minty than other varieties.

Found the problem with my lilies...aphids. ..grrrr....never had them before and my spray hadn't reached under the leaves. Hard asking lilies to bend over and flash their undersides. ..a little rude,really.

Hecate, after the end of the Wimbledon tournament, Sunday, BBC is going to announce the choice of the next Doctor.

Enjoying my Hitchcock films tonight.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 am

Luxury cottage, Muskoka Lakes, Wimbledon, UK. Photo by Jaynes Cottages.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll go with a tall iced coffee, and a banana nut muffin with Irish butter, please.

Maxe... I guess it would be impossible in this day and age to keep the new Doctor's identity a secret until the Christmas episode... but I would have far preferred to have it happen that way. Ah well. I guess we'll all know who's next (or "Who's" next) on Sunday! Personally, I'm more excited that there's a new writing and production team coming in. Have been watching some of Chris Chibnall's stuff on "Torchwood" and prior "Doctor Who" and am looking forward to what he will bring to the series.

Here's to a healthy, healing, comfy kind of day for all...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Doesn't Chibnall do Broadchurch? Very character driven. I'm going to try to remain open minded until I see a few episodes. I was so excited over Peter Capaldi but never fell in love with the series. Husbands of River Song was my favorite episode.

Working later on,so I better get to my chores. Bright,sunny day. Bit toasty,too.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:36 am

Gull Cottage, Prospect Harbor, Maine. Photo by US Military Campgrounds & RV Parks.

Good morning. Dobby, bring on an iced coffee and some scrambled eggs with an English muffin, please.

Maxe... Yes, Chris Chibnall is the creator of "Broadchurch" (all three of which I thought were exceptionally well written). He seems to focus on character depth quite a bit in all his works (even in the Torchwood and prior DW's he's done), so who knows how that will transition to the next series of DW. Time will certainly tell.

Spent a chunk of yesterday at the Bald Eagle Day celebration in Cathlamet. Good viewing in the shade in my friends' driveway (they were also a vendor, selling used books and dvds) and a nice time to chat.

Here's to a healthy, healing, enjoyable kind of day...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 am

Both Karentia  and Always  had excursions yesterday. Both looked like  a lot of fun in totally  different  ways. Guess the weather  was easier to handle?
I'm  not sure if it's Bald or not but the Daniel Boone National Forest starts right outside  our county line and there's an eagle preserve and rehab facility there that has been adding new eagles to their natural habitats around the country.
Kentucky does quite a few things right.

Karentia  seemed to have a lot  to do yesterday. It's a shame  the festival has to close.  Who knows?  Maybe during the year  something  will happen  that regenerates interest.

Still trying not to think about regeneration. ..but, there it is!
We' ll know  soon. Remember when Matt left? There  were hours of programming,interviews, retrospectives,  culminating  with the big reveal. Now, it's  tacked  on after  Wimbledon?  Not quite as glam. Is interest not  as high as in the early days of New Who?

Nothing much planned  today so we had a little brunch and us time  on the front patio. Last night we were there for hours after work.  Best starry night since Winter and we  definitely  did not spend hours out then. Crickets, all sorts of frog song , delicious smells and low humidity. Perfect wind down.

Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:33 am

Couldn't edit my original post to include photo.

Funny thing...I can post photos from my Kindle Fire but not my Samsung. The Samsung has so many different photo apps, it displays a photo but then wants to send it to Facebook, Twitter or e-mail...still so much to learn.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:46 am

The new Doctor is Jodie Whittaker. She was a major player in "Broadchurch". Yes, she. Not thrilled but not totally bummed. At least she's a good actress. BBC obviously caved to pressure about having a woman Doctor so now will have to wait till the storyline unfolds.

Here's the link for the official announcement:  popcorn
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/886608420241117185
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Sam Hann just informed me. I have to process it.
I'm all for strong, positive female role models for young women and men but I believe positive men are needed as well. I think how Capaldi's Doctor was looking for not only the right thing to do, but the kind thing.
Coming from a powerful man,I thought that quite wonderful.
You expect women to teach fair play and kindness, but a strong man with seemingly all the solutions? I think young men really need those lessons.

I did notice Jodi Whitaker is a very pretty,young, woman so it seems the show runners don't want to alienate all the male viewers of any age. Guess a plain, middle-aged woman has nothing to teach.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Maxe... I totally agree with your points. Little boys do need a strong role model who is not just a guy with super powers. As to the cave-in to the pc crowd, had they cast Jodie W's co-star Olivia Coleman as the new Doctor (she was often mentioned in potential Who casting) I'd have been happier. Olivia has a "Doctorish" quality about her that I have not seen in the typically young, pretty, blonde Jodie W. This just seems like a publicity stunt. The redeeming thing is that at least Jodie W. is a good actress, so as ever, the scripts will determine the actual result of this choice.
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecate3fold on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 am

Good evening all,

Just a quick fly through tonight, but once I got here and discovered that the new Dr. was of the feminine persuasion, I had to go check her out on IMDB. Not making any form of opinion as of now.....just going to see what unfolds as the episodes present themselves.

Is that your butterfly bush in this last picture Maxecat? I know you've said that you have to keep trimming it back, now I can see how fast it does grow. Must have been a beautiful sight on your patio the other night. Wish I could spend some time there with you.

Blessings for a wonderful cool evening! Hecate3fold!
Hecate3fold
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Always on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 am

St Catherine's Lighthouse, Niton, Ventnor, Isle Of Wight , UK. Photo by Rural Retreats UK.

Good morning. Dobby, I'll have a tall iced tea, a bagel with cream cheese, and a strip of bacon, please.

As to Doctor Who, the scripts are always more important than who's in the lead. Tom Baker once said the role was "actor proof" and there's a lot of truth in that!

Here's to a healthy, healing, comfortable day for all...
Always
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxecat on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 am

Yes, Hecate. ..that's  the butterfly  bush that was supposed  to be 4x6.  Haha. ..Last Fall I trimmed  it to about 3 feet. Wish my simple petunias would  respond with such enthusiasm. Laughing

Always,  I think Tom B. might have been right, at least in his time  frame  (his, not the Doctor's ). It's  so easy  for  people  to randomly complain publicly  these days.  Fuss and whine without offering solutions to perceived problems.
I've been frustrated at some of the story lines. There haven't been  many I wanted to rewatch which is a shame because  the actors are so good and production still good. I have to admit Sci fi is not my favorite form of story telling, so I look to the characters to hold my interest. I'll give the new Doctor the same benefit as before but I will miss Peter and his expressive, angry eyebrows.
Should the Doctor  stray into former,complicated, time lines, the different sex could prove entertaining.

Happy Monday.
Maxecat

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum