Project Phoenix Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recipes to share!

+5
samtibbs123
Hecate3fold
MJS
Magical Music Dreamer
Karentia
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Recipes to share! - Page 2 Empty Re: Recipes to share!

Post  Admin Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:35 am

Mom just made some pumpkin bread from homemade puree. Turned out great she had more puree than she thought she would need so ended up making 3 loaves. Yummmmmy:!: 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 am

Yay! Glad it turned out so well! It freezes really good too.
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Sadly the bread didn't last long enough to be frozen. It became desert instead of making cookies or cakes. Toasted with some butter and it was a nice alternative.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karentia Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 am

hOh, Weesa, I meant the pumpkin puree can freeze well! :-) glad it worked out so well! I know there is never any leftovers when I make it!
Karentia
Karentia

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Ah I see. Yep the puree does freeze well. Found a fun recipe at Mugglenet, don't think it's been posted yet.

Rosmerta's Recipes - Pumpkin Juice
Pumpkin Juice, a favorite for feasts at Hogwarts that you can now take home with you!

Ingredients:
◦2 cups of pumpkin, chopped up into chunks
◦2 cups of apple juice
◦½ cup of pineapple juice
◦1 teaspoon of honey (more or less to your liking
◦Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg and/or Allspice (all ground, to taste)

Directions:

Step 1: Juice the pumpkin pieces by squeezing through a cheesecloth or using a juicer if you have one.

Step 2: Pour the pumpkin juice, apple juice and pineapple juice into a blender.

Step 3: Add the honey (we recommend you start with 1 teaspoon, as you can add some later!) to the juices and blend thoroughly.

Step 4: Add your spices (to taste). This might take some experimentation to get right.

Step 5: Chill your pumpkin juice or serve iced and enjoy!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  muggleborn Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:35 am

Got this from allrecipes.com and tweeked it a little

Apple Pie by Grandma Ople

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Ready In: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Servings: 8
"A unique and popular recipe. Sliced apples under a lattice crust get bathed with a sweet buttery sauce before baking."
INGREDIENTS:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust
pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 CUP OF BROWN SUGAR INSTEAD
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored
and sliced
MY ADDITIONS:
1 tsp Cinnemon
½ tsp Ginger
1 tbsp Vanilla
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2013 Allrecipes.com
Printed from Allrecipes.com 11/25/2013

USE A FOIL LINED COOKIE SHEET!!
TAKES LONGER TO COOK THAN RECIPE STATES.

SAVE SOME OF THE SAUCE TO DRIZZLE OVER PIE CRUST

Last edited by muggleborn on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
muggleborn
muggleborn
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 am

Never cared for apple pie myself but it gets made for Thanksgiving and Christmas here as it's Dad's fave. We use Grandma's recipe for it. That one looks a lot different. Maybe when he isn't expecting one I can try this recipe.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:05 pm

The Apple Pie looks good muggleborn. I saved the recipe for a later date. Thanks.
Magical Music Dreamer
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post  muggleborn Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:30 am

Caramel and Chocolate Pecan Bars (of course I tweaked it, used chopped pecans and lots of them, and lots of choc chips!)

FOR THE CRUST:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Land O Lakes Salted Butter, softened
1 cup pecan halves

FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER:
2/3 cup Land O Lakes Salted Butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING:
1 cup real semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine all crust ingredients except pecans in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.

Place pecans evenly over unbaked crust.

Combine 2/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until entire surface of mixture comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour evenly over pecans and crust.

Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until entire caramel layer is bubbly. (Do Not Overbake.) Remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle with chips; allow to melt slightly (2 to 3 minutes). Swirl chips leaving some whole for a marbled effect.

Cool completely; cut into bars. Store at room temperature in loosely covered container.

Makes 36 bars
Source: Land O Lakes

Click here to view: http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_1/2012/JUN/10325.html
muggleborn
muggleborn
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Looks delicious muggleborn.
Magical Music Dreamer
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Recipes to share! - Page 2 Empty corn flake chicken?

Post  Greatheart Sat May 03, 2014 8:27 am

Not exactly a recipe, but..

I'm old enough to remember the years BS&B - Before 'Shake & Bake' came on the market. My mother used to make chicken with corn flakes for a crust. Delicious! Crunchy goodness! Yummm!

Okay, fast forward to a few weeks ago. I had a mess of chicken, and while I like S&B just fine, the old corn flake chicken popped into my mind. So, (after driving over the mountain and back for a box of corn flakes) I attempted to re-create this old classic. I put a bunch of c-flakes into a gallon zip bag, added some spices, and proceeded to crush it all into a reasonable consistency.

My choice of spices was garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika and celery salt, but 'your mileage may vary'. Seasoning is entirely up to the chef, n'est-ce pas?

Dipped the chicken in this mix, placed on a baking sheet. 400 degree F oven for about 45 minutes and dang! that smells good!

It was. And I had leftovers for lunch at work, which is even better ;-)

Anyway, several variations are available if you google it, or search youtube.

In hindsight, I should have used a rolling pin to crush the c-flakes, but that would have meant another trip over the mountain. And you don't want them crushed too fine. Crunch rules!
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 03, 2014 8:53 am

Greatheart I had the cornflake chicken growing up in addition to the s&b version. Like both and made up my own corn flake variety a few weeks ago. I used the dried versions of sweet basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, granulated garlic, with a pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper mixed in the crushed corn flakes. Very yummy indeed.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Recipes to share! - Page 2 Empty Sounds good!

Post  Greatheart Sat May 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Yours sounds more 'Italian' than mine. I want to do this with chicken breast tenders for dipping. Yours would go well with a marinara sauce dip. I'm thinking of an Asian style, maybe spice up the c-flakes with garlic and ginger. Sweet-spicy sauce for dipping.

Now I have to head to the grocery store again...

And I have to admit, since I started this, I've been saving the S&B for pork chops. ;-)
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Magical Music Dreamer Mon May 05, 2014 12:32 am

Thanks for the crunchy cornflake fried chicken ideas. My Mom made fried chicken, but we just used flour, salt and pepper. I should try this sometime.
Magical Music Dreamer
Magical Music Dreamer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Recipes to share! - Page 2 Empty Great crockpot site

Post  Greatheart Sun May 11, 2014 8:00 pm

This site has hundreds of crockpot recipes. Stephanie O'Dea decided that she would try to use the crockpot every day for a year and post the results. She's still finding and sharing -

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

PLUS, if you are eating or cooking gluten-free, all her recipes are GF. (I don't, but she tells you what to substitute of you wish.)

Last edited by Greatheart on Sun May 11, 2014 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling kounts!)
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatheart Sun May 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Magical Music Dreamer wrote:Thanks for the crunchy cornflake fried chicken ideas. My Mom made fried chicken, but we just used flour, salt and pepper. I should try this sometime.

MMD, this is baked, not fried, a bit healthier of you use leaner cuts. I'm a big fan of boneless & skinless thighs, I still trim them as lean as possible. Baked or grilled, awesome good eating.
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 12, 2014 10:46 am

MMD I actually do serve mine as an Italian meal with a bit of pasta and marinara sauce and a nice garlic bread.

We do most of our meats baked or grilled these days too and we tend to trim off the extra fat and remove the skin from chicken. Helps
keep the meal a bit healthier.

Will have to try the Asian influenced variety of the corn flake chicken sometime, sounds yummy.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Recipes to share! - Page 2 Empty stainless steel pans

Post  Greatheart Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:02 pm

Some time ago a friend wrote elsewhere that he had bought a new, and very expensive stainless steel frying pan. I looked into it and a) the good ones are indeed expensive but b) when you learn how to use them the quality and taste of food improves a lot.

Today I made chicken in a spicy Asian sauce. I did it the easy way, in a crock  pot. The sauce was spicy but the meat was non-descript.

In a good stainless pan, I'd have seared the chicken, removed the meat from the pan, deglazed the pan as a base for the sauce., which I would then reduce. The 'fond' - the crispy bits from frying, would have added flavor to the sauce, and the meat itself would have that seared goodness the crock pot doesn't give you.

So, I'll keep my crock pots, but cooking properly requires good equipment and technique. Live and learn.

PS - the frying pans i use are made by 'All Clad' and they're not cheap, but 'heirloom quality' seldom is. Your grand-children will love these! ;-)

PPS - there are a lot of good videos on youtube demonstrating good cooking techniques with heavy steel pans. great for learning new recipes and techniques
Greatheart
Greatheart
Ashes
Ashes

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Greatheart your dish sounds great. If I ever win the lottery it would be nice to get those kinds of pans. Right now we have one really good stainless steel pan from the Wolfgang Puck collection the rest of the hour pans are cast iron.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2